Default Police Agency Phone Record System

My question involves criminal records for the state of: MI

Is it possible that a police agency could have a computer system connected to their phone lines that automatically pulls up any criminal records, public information, or special information about callers associated with the phone numbers that call their agency? Has anyone heard of anything like this, is it real?

Default Re: Police Agency Phone Record System

Could a caller ID / ANI system cross-reference a caller's name, telephone number or both with other records? Certainly. Does a police agency have such a system? The only way to find out is to ask the agency, and they probably won't be eager to tell you.

Sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

I work for a major, well-known, well-publicized, very wealthy university. We have a system where, if an employee uses their university issued phone OR enters their employee ID number when prompted to do so, I get a populated screen telling me who is calling. But even so, we have people who call from someone else's phone, or they're a new hire whose phone is still assigned to their predecessor, or who are calling on behalf of someone else; as a result the name on the screen isn't always the name of the person the call is for, or about. And drawing only from a single data base and only the in-house phones, it can take between ten and thirty seconds for the call to fully load.

I can't even imagine how inaccurate a system would be that was drawing from all the records you mention and was using a telephone number issued from any of who knows how many phone companies as a reference.

Years ago when I was involved in a large county Fire/EMS system, we had information that came up on the incoming call (it's not really caller ID, per se, we get a tap out of the billing part of the phone system). Not only do we get the address and subscriber info, but we also get all the previous calls and any specific information (disabled person, etc...).

Yes, we get information on previous calls too. But that's all still in the one data base. I still say that a system that is able to pull all criminal records, all public information, and additional "special" information (whatever that is) on any phone number that calls into the agency is going to be unwieldy at best. How much of the information you get from Spokeo is valuable and how much is worthless?

By special information I was basically referring to notes that could assist the front desk police in handling that particular caller. Like maybe they have a history with the agency and are mentally ill, or known for filing false complaints, or have a history with specific police officers, or are known stalkers... etc.

While theoretically possible, a program of the type you describe would be drawing from too many sources to be reliable, and could be defeated by simply changing your phone number.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    While theoretically possible, a program of the type you describe would be drawing from too many sources to be reliable, and could be defeated by simply changing your phone number.
    Or as simple as calling from a work phone or pay phone...
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting zags4champs
    View Post
    By special information I was basically referring to notes that could assist the front desk police in handling that particular caller. Like maybe they have a history with the agency and are mentally ill, or known for filing false complaints, or have a history with specific police officers, or are known stalkers... etc.
    Certainly if the person calling identifies himself the police might be able to quickly run the name through their system and if the person has a history of contacts with that police department that may well show up. Also if the police repeatedly get troubling calls from that same phone number that info might be immediately available, too. Neither of those situations require any real sophisticated technology to do. But that is fairly limited in scope.

Quote Quoting zags4champs
    View Post
    My question involves criminal records for the state of: MI

Is it possible that a police agency could have a computer system connected to their phone lines that automatically pulls up any criminal records, public information, or special information about callers associated with the phone numbers that call their agency? Has anyone heard of anything like this, is it real?
    Possible? I suppose. But, it's not something I have ever heard of. A search can be done to try and match the phone number to prior calls or data entered into a local system, but something that automatically runs people out for warrants and other info? Highly unlikely ... for a host of reasons.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links