Hybrid View

Default Distribution of Personal Belongings After an Unmarried Seperation

My question involves non-married separation and possession law for the State of: Oregon

I own my own home in the state of Oregon. Recently I discovered my significant other had been cheating on me, so I kicked them out of my home. We had a discussion a few days ago about how we were going to separate our personal property, and I was, at that time, under the impression that we'd come to an agreement.

Today, however, they decided they wanted my camera because they were using it for a project, and when I told them no, it devolved into an argument that ended with them threatening to take the dog and other belongings not previously agreed upon.

My question is this; what rights do I have in regards to personal possessions still within my home, and what rights do they have to those possessions? Does there need to be proof of purchase on their end before I am required to relinquish any belongings? Am I within my rights to deny them possession of anything within my home?

Default Re: Distribution of Personal Belongings After an Unmarried Seperation

What you purchased with your money is yours, no matter where it is.. what your partner purchased with their own money is theirs, no matter where it is. (Barring items that were gifted to the other party. Whomever received a gift retains ownership)

the item being in you home makes no difference

so, that leaves items bought with combined funds

both of you own the property. If you can’t agree who gets what, you can sue the other party for your share of the depreciated value of the item and they can do the same.

Quote Quoting woodswolf2@gmail.com
    View Post
    what rights do I have in regards to personal possessions still within my home, and what rights do they have to those possessions?
    Legally, you and your ex-boy/girlfriend were nothing more than roommates. Your stuff is yours, and his/her stuff is his/hers.
    Quote Quoting woodswolf2@gmail.com
    View Post
    Does there need to be proof of purchase on their end before I am required to relinquish any belongings? Am I within my rights to deny them possession of anything within my home?
    I'm not quite sure what the second question means. You said that you "kicked them [sic] out of [your] home," but it's not entirely clear what that means. Did you evict your ex by giving him/her a proper notice and then going through an eviction proceeding? Or did you simply demand that he/she leave and he/she complied with your demand? Assuming it's the latter, and assuming that your ex left stuff behind when he/she moved out, since you lived together, your ex's stuff would be (or would have been) physically located in your home, so the mere fact that an item is located in the home doesn't mean anything. If there are items you can't agree on, your recourse is to fight it out in court. If neither of you can conclusively prove ownership of an item, the likely result will be either that the judge will divide items randomly or will order the items sold and the proceeds divided.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

What you purchased with your money is yours, no matter where it is.. what your partner purchased with their own money is theirs, no matter where it is. (Barring items that were gifted to the other party. Whomever received a gift retains ownership)

the item being in you home makes no difference

so, that leaves items bought with combined funds

both of you own the property. If you can’t agree who gets what, you can sue the other party for your share of the depreciated value of the item and they can do the same.
    This pretty much spells it out.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links