Default Police Recording of Calls Without Consent

Yet the police are allowed to record your calls to/from the station without consent. I tried this with a shady leautenant investigator once from an out of state university police department that I had a bad reputation with. He told me if I was going to file a complaint with him, I couldn’t record it. His choice to investigate my complaint, his rules he told me

Default Re: Is It Legal to Record a Police Officer Calling You

I tried this with a shady leautenant investigator once from an out of state university police department that I had a bad reputation with. He told me if I was going to file a complaint with him, I couldn’t record it.
    You could have filed your complaint in writing and had written documentation. You're not making a lot of sense here as to why you think you have to record conversations.

Quote Quoting zags4champs
    View Post
    Yet the police are allowed to record your calls to/from the station without consent.
    Right. There is a common exception for law enforcement.

In my case, I had already been misquoted and straight up lied about things I said or did by detectives from his agency, on prior occasions in court. I had very little trust that they wouldn’t do it again with this particular case. I had attempted a written statement via email on a prior occasion, but he told me not to email his agency any more. They ended up on not even investigating my case, but when I reported the case to another agency that apparently had overlapping jurisdiction, 2 years later the case was fully investigated and submitted for prosecution.

It's unfortunate what the university's rent-a-cop system did to you but illegally recording phone conversations wouldn't have helped you there either.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    It's unfortunate what the university's rent-a-cop system
    Not every university uses "rent-a-cops". Many use actual sworn law enforcement officers, although they may be augments by campus security officers.

This university is one of nations flagship public universities, so it was both large and well funded enough to have its own full service police agency with a full squad of sworn police officers, and then a whole agency of security officers as well under the collective heading of Department of Public Safety Services. However, their police officers did not act professional like the city police officers I have encountered before, and I have more than a handful of shady stories about them. So I don’t know what’s going on there, if they weren’t qualified enough to be city police or what. Their pay is quite a bit less too.

1. Sponsored Links