Default Can University Increase Credits of Course Mid Semester then Increase Tuition

My question involves education law in the State of: Arizona

I am a part time university student going to a state college. My classes started about two weeks ago and the tuition was due on the first day of classes. The following week one of my classes increased the number of credits and now the bursars is saying that I owe them even more money since they increased the credits of one of my courses. To put into perspective they increased the number of credits of the course after the deadline to add/drop courses. This does not seem right by any means. Can they just increase the number of credits of my courses after tuition is due then demand more money?

Default Re: Can University Increase Credits of Course Mid Semester then Increase Tuition

Obviously they can because they did and I imagine that there is something in the college catalog or Arizona statutes that authorizes it and obligates you to pay for it. Would make sense to me that you ask that question of the bursar.

At any rate you pay for the extra credit now and that's a credit you don't have to take later.

Default Re: Can University Increase Credits of Course Mid Semester then Increase Tuition

Quote Quoting Frostflower
    View Post
    My question involves education law in the State of: Arizona

I am a part time university student going to a state college. My classes started about two weeks ago and the tuition was due on the first day of classes. The following week one of my classes increased the number of credits and now the bursars is saying that I owe them even more money since they increased the credits of one of my courses. To put into perspective they increased the number of credits of the course after the deadline to add/drop courses. This does not seem right by any means. Can they just increase the number of credits of my courses after tuition is due then demand more money?
    What kind of university is this? Is it a major state school or some other kind of school?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    What kind of university is this? Is it a major state school or some other kind of school?
    We have three 4 year public colleges in Arizona that are typically referred to as "state colleges":

Arizona State University (Tempe).
    University of Arizona (Tucson).
    Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff).

And there are numerous 2 year public colleges throughout the cities and counties, often referred to as "community colleges."

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    We have three 4 year public colleges in Arizona that are typically referred to as "state colleges":

Arizona State University (Tempe).
    University of Arizona (Tucson).
    Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff).

And there are numerous 2 year public colleges throughout the cities and counties, often referred to as "community colleges."
    I was mostly trying to determine if this was a state school that would have to adhere to state rules, or a private school of some sort, like a for profit tech school.

Colleges can cancel classes if they don't have enough enrolled students. Colleges can add classes if they have demand. They don't need students' permission to do either.

Functionally, this is no different from the college canceling the class with a lower number of credit hours, then adding a new class with more credits.

If you don't like the change, drop the class within the contractual drop period so that you get your money back. If you want to take the class, the college can charge tuition based upon the number of credit hours.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Colleges can cancel classes if they don't have enough enrolled students. Colleges can add classes if they have demand. They don't need students' permission to do either.

Functionally, this is no different from the college canceling the class with a lower number of credit hours, then adding a new class with more credits.

If you don't like the change, drop the class within the contractual drop period so that you get your money back. If you want to take the class, the college can charge tuition based upon the number of credit hours.
    The OP said the increase was after the deadline to add or drop courses.

It is a state school.

Quote Quoting Frostflower
    View Post
    It is a state school.
    The one thing that I find odd about the whole thing is that they made the decision to add credits, and then make you pay more money, AFTER the deadline to drop or add a class. They effectively gave you no opportunity to drop the class if you did not want to pay more money. That could possibly be against the rules. However, at the same time, state schools are a pretty tight bureaucracy and tend not to make many errors in policy.

You probably need to go higher up the ladder on this issue.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    The OP said the increase was after the deadline to add or drop courses.
    I doubt it, as scheduling, staffing and budgeting decisions are made in advance of such a date; but if we were to assume that to be the case then the student should go to the college and say, "I want to drop the course because of the changes" and see how the college responds.

1. Sponsored Links