Default Personal Storage After Friendship

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Maryland

Back on February 8, 2018 I helped a friend pick up two dressers that one of our neighbors were getting rid of and he had to store them somewhere because his son's room was not ready yet. We had talked numerous times about him coming to pick it up and he did not. Recently he and I had a disagreement as he did work at my house for tv installs and put the wires in the walls. I was unhappy with his services the last two times that he was supposed to come to my house either being 2 hours late and then calling me or cancelling on me at the 11th hour without explanation. I made a post on Facebook on my personal page about how upset I was with my "tv guy." I did not mention his name or business.

He wanted more than an apology but instead he blocked me on Facebook less than 24 hours later after asking me for this action. So he has "terminated" our friendship.

I still have the two dressers that he had stored in my garage. My garage is small and the storage in our homes as he knows is small. That being said, if I would send him an e-mail today (September 4) and said that he either needs to coordinate a time to remove the property or remove the property by Saturday (September 8) would I be okay? I believe that I could the two dressers but I have to make sure that the dimensions work in the two rooms. Saturday will be 7 months since he had originally stored them in my house.

Legally could I take ownership of these dressers? He did not pay for them as they were provided to him for free?

Default Re: Personal Storage After Friendship

Were you paying him fair market value for his services or were you getting a special deal? Complaining about a friend on facebook is quite childish, even if you did not mention him by name.
    Legally could I take ownership of these dressers? He did not pay for them as they were provided to him for free?
    It doesn't matter whether or not he paid for them, they are his property. Today is the 4th of September. 4 days notice is generally not enough. You really need to give him 10 days to 2 weeks notice at least.

Default Re: Personal Storage After Friendship

Quote Quoting mbrown007
    View Post
    That being said, if I would send him an e-mail today (September 4) and said that he either needs to coordinate a time to remove the property or remove the property by Saturday (September 8) would I be okay?
    You can make any demand and set any deadline that you choose to make. But you cannot free yourself from your obligation to care for his properly through such a unilateral notification. That's true even if you give a deadline of ten days or two weeks. You can use such a notice as evidence in court that you reasonably believed the dressers to have been abandoned as trash, but no such notice can guarantee that the court will not require that you return the dressers (if still in your possession) or pay for them (if not).
    Quote Quoting mbrown007
    Legally could I take ownership of these dressers?
    They're not yours, and you know that they are not yours. They are his. If you want to use them without damaging them, and take a "wait and see" position on whether he ever tries to get them back, you can certainly do that; but they're still his dressers. If you want to sell them or discard them, you run the risk that he will sue you for their value -- subject to a three year statute of limitations.

1. Sponsored Links