Default Sued by a Hospital That Provided Inadequate Treatment

I live in Indiana. My husband had a potential heart attack and was rushed to the hospital, he had tests ran, and was told he was going to be admitted. We went upstairs where he was supposed be in a room and monitored the room wasn't clean. They placed him in a waiting room with no monitoring, machines, or nurses checking on him. They also removed his iv in the unsteril room and did not chart anything.
    We filed a complaint with the attorney general and they told us we may wish to get a personal lawyer and that they sent the complaint to the board of health. I am still waiting on the results from the board of health.
    I didn't want to proceed with court so I contacted the hospital to try and get the bill reduced for their negligence on caring for my husband. They told us they would send it higher up and would let us know. Over a year has passed and we JUST got a letter from their attorney office trying to collect the whole amount. I told the office we were still waiting on results from the board of health. this hospital lost A LOT of doctors in less than a year due to the hospital's poor treatment of staff as well.
    Should I seek out a lawyer and to fight the suit or is this something I can argue on my own? We just had a child and were not expecting this.
    Should I countersue since the attorney general had suggested it to begin with and the hospital treated my husband with gross negligence and possibly falsified documents? I never received an itemized bill.
    I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Default Re: Sued for Unpaid Med Bills. File Against Hospital

What are you claiming is negligence on their part? Did your husband survive? Was he injured due to what you claim is negligence?

If it has been less than 2 years you can consider a medical malpractice suit. I don’t see any basis for such a suit but I don’t have all the details either. Unless you do, I don’t see any defense to the claim for the debt you owe.

Default Re: Sued by a Hospital That Provided Inadequate Treatment

Quote Quoting kometfan13
    View Post
    I contacted the hospital to try and get the bill reduced for their negligence on caring for my husband.
    What negligence, and what damage did your husband suffer as a result of the alleged negligence?

Quote Quoting kometfan13
    View Post
    we JUST got a letter from their attorney office trying to collect the whole amount.
    A letter or a lawsuit (summons and complaint)? How much is the hospital claiming you owe? Did your husband's personal medical insurance not provide coverage, or is the hospital seeking payment of a deductible or co-pay?

Quote Quoting kometfan13
    View Post
    Should I seek out a lawyer and to fight the suit or is this something I can argue on my own?
    We have no way of knowing if you're competent to represent yourself (obviously, you cannot legally represent your husband, so he'll either need to represent himself or hire a lawyer).

Quote Quoting kometfan13
    View Post
    Should I countersue since the attorney general had suggested it to begin with
    You told us that the AG "told [you that you] may wish to get a personal lawyer." That's a far cry from a suggestion that you sue, and certainly isn't an endorsement of any claim you might have. That said, nothing in your post suggests that your husband (or you) has any basis for suing the hospital. Obviously, if he (and/or you) retains a lawyer, this is something that should be discussed.

1. Sponsored Links