Default Divorce While Pregnant, With a Plan to Give the Child Up for Adoption

My question involves a marriage in the state of: TEXAS

My son and daughter-in-law are legally married, have decided to call it quits. She is about 12 weeks pregnant. While they both would like very much to keep the baby, they both know that neither of them can provide the best environment for the child financially. They told me that they have jointly decided to place the baby for adoption when he/she is born (DIL already has a 2 year old from prior relationship to take care of).

I do already know that in Texas, a divorce cannot be finalized while the wife is pregnant.

My question is - After the the child is born and placed with adoptive family, would the adoption papers just be substituted for custody arrangement, etc documents that typically are found in a more 'traditional' situation (divorce with kids?)

Any insight anyone can provide would be most helpful here.

Thanks.

Default Re: They Are Divorcing, Wife is Pregnant, They Plan to Put Child Up for Adoption

Once a child is adopted, the biological parents have no rights to it. There's nothing to discuss or "put in" the divorce.

Default Re: They Are Divorcing, Wife is Pregnant, They Plan to Put Child Up for Adoption

Ok so in the area of divorce petition that talks about children conceived during the marriage they would put 'none and none are expected'?

THEY should discuss it with their lawyers, but that is probably the correct answer.

Quote Quoting DHart88
    View Post
    Ok so in the area of divorce petition that talks about children conceived during the marriage they would put 'none and none are expected'?
    The adoption will either be complete when they file for divorce, or it won't be complete at that time. If the adoption is complete, then "none" is an appropriate answer. If the adoption is not complete, they would list the pregnancy or child (depending upon whether or not the child has been born).

Default Re: Divorce While Pregnant, With a Plan to Give the Child Up for Adoption

It's very possible that one of them or both will change their mind before the adoption actually happens.

1. Sponsored Links