Default Payment of a Judgment Owed to a Government Agency

So my situation is that my county is trying to charge me $50k for a drug charge that I got when I was 17 years old. I have no problem with that as I feel like it is only right to pay your debts and unfortunately this is mine. So my county has put me on a payment plan until the year 2060 at $100 a month. This is for the total sum of $53218 and this includes the interest. I recently touched base with the clerk and comptroller for my county to see if they were willing to settle out so I can get myself out of the system 100%. This was there response:
    Thank you for contacting the Clerk & Comptroller in regards to inquiring about a settlement for your case 20xxxxxxxxx. After speaking with our legal department, we can offer a settlement payoff and close out the case and judgment for $50,000.

This is a breakdown of the fees that are left outstanding on the case are listed below.

$57,222.06 interest (judgment)

$50,255 Court Costs & satisfaction of judgment fees.

Total: $107,484.06
    Now to me this is absolutely ridiculous. I did 8 years in prison for this charge and have since acquired a Military Brokerage and changed my life around. I am no longer that young kid with no direction in life. I have a purpose. I feel like they are taking full advantage of the situation and they are breaking the law by doing so. I have a signed contract with my payment plan and they are not honoring that contract and trying to add double what I actually owe. Is there anything I can do? This has to be illegal.

Default Re: Help

I dont see how the plan could possibly include interest. If the judgment is for $50,000 and that is about all you would be laying in your plan, where is the interest?

But I’m missing something.

If your debt is $50,000, then why would you have a problem with paying that to settle things? If you have a signed contract showing you will have paid the debt in full by 2060 at the $100 per month, then it appears they have somehow forgotten added interest. So it seems you can either pay the debt now or over the next 21 years.

And while it’s great you have turned your life around after being in prison, that doesn’t affect the amount you owe.

Default Re: Payment of a Judgment Owed to a Government Agency

Are we talking about your owing court costs, fines, restitution and the like, converted to a money judgment? You have been paying under a $100/month agreement from the date the judgment was entered through the present? Is that payment plan informal or part of a court-order?

Quote Quoting josephlees
    View Post
    my county has put me on a payment plan until the year 2060 at $100 a month. This is for the total sum of $53218 and this includes the interest.
    Certainly not much in interest since it will take over 44 years to pay that amount at $100 per month.

Quote Quoting josephlees
    View Post
    I feel like they are taking full advantage of the situation and they are breaking the law by doing so.
    Which law do you believe is being broken? Please cite the particular statute by number and also identify your state.

Quote Quoting josephlees
    View Post
    I have a signed contract with my payment plan and they are not honoring that contract and trying to add double what I actually owe.
    I don't really understand this. You started by telling us that the "county has put [you] on a payment play until the year 2060 at $100 a month." You then told us that you contacted the "clerk and comptroller . . . to see if they were willing to settle out." I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "settle out," but I assume you were asking about making some sort of lump sum payment. Correct? Regardless, your inquiry generated a response that the county is willing to settle for $107,484.06. Nothing about that says to me that the county is "not honoring" the existing agreement for you to pay $100 a month until 2060. As you have described it, the county's response is simply that, if you want to pay this off in a lump sum now, rather than following the $100 per month plan, you'll need to pay $107k.

Quote Quoting josephlees
    View Post
    Is there anything I can do?
    No one here has any idea what abilities you have, but I strongly suspect that you "can do" a great many things. I think if I were you, I would respond and say, "No thanks. I'll stick with the existing $100/month plan." Or, I suppose you could make a counteroffer, but I obviously have no idea what amount you might be able to offer or whether this unknown county in an unidentified state would be willing to negotiate.

Actually the op stated the court was willing to settle for a payment of $50,000, not the $107,484.06 you state.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Regardless, your inquiry generated a response that the county is willing to settle for $107,484.06. Nothing about that says to me that the county is "not honoring" the existing agreement for you to pay $100 a month until 2060. As you have described it, the county's response is simply that, if you want to pay this off in a lump sum now, rather than following the $100 per month plan, you'll need to pay $107k.
    My math says that OP has 42 years to pay it off. That is 504 payments of $100. That is $50,400 to pay off the debt. Where do you get he has to pay off $107K?

In any event, after spending 8 years in jail, the amount to pay seems confiscatory to me for something that appears to be criminal. If there was restitution maybe different but the post doesn't seem that way. I would consult with a criminal attorney and see what might be done to reduce it even further.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    My math says that OP has 42 years to pay it off. That is 504 payments of $100. That is $50,400 to pay off the debt. Where do you get he has to pay off $107K?

In any event, after spending 8 years in jail, the amount to pay seems confiscatory to me for something that appears to be criminal. If there was restitution maybe different but the post doesn't seem that way. I would consult with a criminal attorney and see what might be done to reduce it even further.
    I agree now that you mention it. 50k for a drug charge for a teenager does seem a bit out there. However, the person also spent 8 years in prison for the same and that's a lot for a first time drug charge as well.

The OP has not shared facts relevant to the judgment such that we can know what it was for or how it came to be entered, and did not follow the instruction to identify his state. As we lack that basic information, his best bet is to go to a lawyer in his state and get a case review based upon the relevant facts.

1. Sponsored Links