Default Involved in an Accident While Driving on a Canceled License

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Minnesota

Hello,

I am an International Student. I was involved in an accident recently, No one got hurt. But I was driving on a cancelled license so, I received a citation for "Driving After Cancellation". My License had a status check on it. I applied for renewal well before this accident but it didn't get renewed. I am really concerned about this citation. Do you think I may go to jail for this ? Will my immigration status be affected by this ? Can you advice me on how to move forward?

Default Re: Involved in an Accident While Driving on a Canceled License

Are you talking about Minnesota Statutes, Sec. 171.24, driving without a valid license? Misdemeanor offenses carry possible jail time, and any criminal conviction may affect your immigration status or future effort to enter the U.S.; although for a first offense, particularly if you reinstate your license before the court hearing, jail is unlikely.

You should consult a lawyer about the possibility of getting this resolved as a non-criminal matter.

1. Sponsored Links