Default How to Transfer Vehicle Title When You Don't Buy from the Title Owner

-My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Colorado
    -City: Copper Mountain
    -County: Summit County

I recently purchased a vehicle from a friend and I need to transfer the title to my name. He gave me the title but here is the unique situation, the name printed on the front of the title is the person that my friend purchased it from... on the back it does have the original owners printed name and signature(on Seller) and my friends printed name and signature(on buyer). So here is my questions:

1. Does my friend need to officially transfer the title to his name so the title has his name printed on the front of the title before he can sell it to me or can we just take this current title the way it is to the tag/title office to have it transferred to my name?

2. The vehicle is not currently drivable but I don't think emissions is required in Summit County. So if I am correct and emissions is not required, can I transfer and register the title to my name before I get the vehicle working?

Default Re: I Have Some Questions About Transferring a Title to My Name

Yes friend needs to transfer it into his name first. Title jumping is illegal and generslly includes tax fraud.

So if both of us go to the title office, will they just hand him the new title or is that something they mail to him?

Hopefully, your "friend" has the title properly signed over to him as well as a bill of sale. He takes that with his ID and a check for the SALES TAX to the DMV and they will immediately title it to him. He then can sign over the title to you and prepare a bill of sale and take it with your id and pay the sales tax and get your title. You can also apply for registration at that time. Fortunately, Summitt isn't one of the emission check counties, so you can skip that part of the process. Since you are registering the vehicle, you'll need to show proof of insurance.

I think without a bill of sale, they will impute the blue book value on to the vehicle to determine the sales tax.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Hopefully, your "friend" has the title properly signed over to him as well as a bill of sale. He takes that with his ID and a check for the SALES TAX to the DMV and they will immediately title it to him. He then can sign over the title to you and prepare a bill of sale and take it with your id and pay the sales tax and get your title. You can also apply for registration at that time. Fortunately, Summitt isn't one of the emission check counties, so you can skip that part of the process. Since you are registering the vehicle, you'll need to show proof of insurance.

I think without a bill of sale, they will impute the blue book value on to the vehicle to determine the sales tax.
    So is the sales tax based on how much he sold it to me for? If so, he sold it to me for $1.00 (no kidding, I am serious as a heart attack).

Quote Quoting jigsaw82
    View Post
    So is the sales tax based on how much he sold it to me for? If so, he sold it to me for $1.00 (no kidding, I am serious as a heart attack).
    The DMV won't accept that nonsense. Except in the case of a bona fide gift between family members, they'll look at the $1 OVC declaration and impute the actual value of the car from the blue book and tax you on that.

You might fare a little better by slightly undervaluing the car, but you stray too far from the book value, they'll just laugh and charge you the tax on the book value.

Default Calculation of Taxes Owed on a Used Vehicle Purchase

Quote Quoting jigsaw82
    View Post
    If the price on the bill of sale is not reasonably close to the book value they will use the book value.

I suggest you look up the book value (KBB, NADA, or Edmunds) and have the bill of sale written for the lowest value shown for poor condition. You should be able to justify that but you won't be able to justify $1.

1. Sponsored Links