Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Police Officer is Having an Affair with a Crime Victim

Quote Quoting Stalker30
    View Post
    Thanks for all the input, I have resolved the case, My attorney prepared a packet with the information I had on text logs, and public (social media) posts of the Deputy, and interactions with my wife. The DA decided to dismiss all charges, the Deputy was put under IA review, and later Fired.

A good Time was had By All

Wow.... that was fast.

An investigation that lead to termination that happened inside of 30 days?!?! Either the "investigation" of the deputy began some time ago, or the state or agency has a very loose interpretation of "due process" when it comes to personnel matters in law enforcement. Or, there's something more to the tale.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    An investigation that lead to termination that happened inside of 30 days?!?! Either the "investigation" of the deputy began some time ago, or the state or agency has a very loose interpretation of "due process" when it comes to personnel matters in law enforcement. Or, there's something more to the tale.
    It is possible to give due process and do it quickly; a lot depends on the process used, the resources available, what the terms of the collective bargaining agreement are (if there was an agreement at all) and what is actually being contested. If the department had a clear policy that sleeping with a victim gets you fired and the officer admitted to the affair, there may not have been any real fight for the officer to pursue.

It might also be that the department fired him but that he still has appeal rights to get put back on the force, i.e. the due process comes after the formal "firing."

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    It is possible to give due process and do it quickly; a lot depends on the process used, the resources available, what the terms of the collective bargaining agreement are (if there was an agreement at all) and what is actually being contested. If the department had a clear policy that sleeping with a victim gets you fired and the officer admitted to the affair, there may not have been any real fight for the officer to pursue.

It might also be that the department fired him but that he still has appeal rights to get put back on the force, i.e. the due process comes after the formal "firing."
    Different states, different rules, I suppose. A 30 day investigation and termination just wouldn't happen out here - not without a discernible crime, and even then there would be a delay as the matter was appealed via Skelly or even mediation if permitted by local rules.

I agree that it may be more likely that the deputy has been placed on leave while they investigate. That would make more sense than his being terminated so quickly.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3