Default What Can You Ask For in a Divorce

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Michigan

I don't know how much of this matters to discuss, but I am miserable in my marriage due to my husband's behavior. Our first three years of marriage were wonderful and then shortly after he has become negative and rude to me. I greet him when he comes home and he shuns me away. He doesnt care to give me attention or treat me with respect. He throws parties with his friends and gets drunk complaining about life and that he has to give ME all his money for bills. Things were getting better when we found out we were pregnant. He was over the moon, but then we miscarried three months later. Since, he has become the bitter man he once was.

My problem is, I feel so miserable in this marriage and that I'm doing all the work. He was making $15 an hour and then quit and went to a minimum wage paid job because "he felt like it" and said "I feel like a slave" leaving me to cover all the medical bills, grocery bills and things he doesnt pick up. I'm paying $400 in medical bills for our miscarriage as we had to have a DNC and at the time they went off what we could afford based on our income. He hasnt paid a dime on that bill at all and this happend three months ago of of today.

The biggest thing of all, is I dont feel appreciated and loved. He isnt trying, he has given up. My question is, if I file divorce, is he responsible also for that bill? Can I ask for that? I've been working two jobs to cover this thing by myself and groceries. I feel like Im out of energy. Also, Im worried he will get violent. He gets real angry when he feels he is right and throws temper tantrums and the cops were already over once concerned because a neighbor called on him hearing him screaming at me. Could I file a restraining order if Im concerned of my well being? I own the home and owned it before we were married. So I know I get to keep the home. Please let me know. I also am out of money. I had a savings fund, its gone to bills. I have an IRA account, in my name only and I dont want to deplete funds from that over a divorce. I know he cannot afford an attorney, and I really dont have a way to pay for this myself and hire one. What do you suggest? What are my legal rights here?

Default Re: Divorce

Quote Quoting anniet
    View Post
    My question is, if I file divorce, is he responsible also for that bill? Can I ask for that?
    You can ask for anything you like. The court will allocate marital debt between the two of you in a manner that it determines to be equitable based on a number of circumstances. Note that the allocation of marital debt between the two of you will not impact your liability to creditors.

Quote Quoting anniet
    View Post
    Could I file a restraining order if Im concerned of my well being?
    A restraining order is issued by a court. You cannot file one, but you obviously can apply to the court for one.

Quote Quoting anniet
    View Post
    What do you suggest?
    The only competent suggestion anyone on the internet can make is that you consult with a local divorce attorney. You clearly need to get out of the marriage, and that might mean leaving your home temporarily, obtaining a restraining order to get him out, and filing for divorce and asking for exclusive possession of the marital residence pending the finalization of the divorce. It's not a good DIY project.

Thank you for your reply. I agree with what you said. I just have no money I can get access to right now being Im paying so much in bills. I really am at a loss cause with this but yes, I agree I 100% need out. My stress level is at a peak and I am absolutely miserable. I am a positive person and look for the best in people and always try to rise above my problems, and my husband is negative Debbie Downer always blaming others for his problems. We are the wrong mix. Thank you.

Quote Quoting anniet
    View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I agree with what you said. I just have no money I can get access to right now being Im paying so much in bills. I really am at a loss cause with this but yes, I agree I 100% need out. My stress level is at a peak and I am absolutely miserable. I am a positive person and look for the best in people and always try to rise above my problems, and my husband is negative Debbie Downer always blaming others for his problems. We are the wrong mix. Thank you.
    While I'm sure you are simply a delight to be around you might take a moment to consider that considering your husband a Debbie Downer may have something to do with the way he reacts to you.

Have you considered Marriage Counseling ? Marriage is not easy. There are times you put in far more work than your spouse. Perhaps you both need to grow up and be realistic.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Have you considered Marriage Counseling ? Marriage is not easy. There are times you put in far more work than your spouse. Perhaps you both need to grow up and be realistic.

Or perhaps they just need a divorce...

It would be worth considering that he, too, is likely mourning the loss of your (joint) child.

You can certainly ask that he be responsible to pay your divorce lawyer, but that's not likely to happen unless he has access to significant amounts of money.

While the house is in your name and purchased before marriage, any equity accrued since your marriage will likely be considered a marital asset. As will anything you put into your IRA since marriage and any interest accrued. Any debts incurred by either of you since marriage will likely also be considered marital.

1. Sponsored Links