Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Manafort and Cohen Both on the Same Day

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    That might change after the midterms.
    I haven't looked lately but I don't think if every open Senate seat went to the Democrats there would be the required 2/3rds vote.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    That might change after the midterms.
    Realistically, no. There is absolutely no chance that the Democrats would have 67 seats in the Senate to assure removal of the President from office without Republican votes. Since senators hold their seats for six years and elections are every two years, the Constitution provided for one third of the seats to be up for election every two years. This means that only 33 or 34 seats are up for election in any given election year. For 2018, it is 33 seats. There are two more seats up this year for special elections due to Senate retirements. That gives a total of 35 seats up for grabs. Just 9 of those seats are held by Republicans, and the remaining 26 are held by Democrats or those who caucus with the Democrats. The Senate is currently split 51 Republicans, 47 Democrats, and 2 independents (who both caucus with the Democrats).

What this means is that even if the Democrats ran the table and won every one of the 35 seats up for election, they'd only flip 9 Republican seats, giving them 58 seats (including the independents) and the Republicans would have 42. It takes 67 votes to convict the president at an impeachment trial and remove him from office. The Democrats would be 9 votes short of that. They'd need some Republicans to join them. Indeed, even running the table the Democrats will late the 60 votes needed to invoke cloture and end debate in the Senate, which means the Senate will remain pretty much unable to pass much legislation.

And it is incredibly unlikely the Democrats will run the table. Most of the Republican seats are pretty safe, though the Democrats might flip 2 or 3 of them. On the other hand, 10 of the Democratic seats at issue are in states that voted for Trump in 2016, so there is a real possibility the Republicans might also flip some seats to their side of the aisle. For that reason, it not at all clear the Democrats will regain the majority in the Senate. If they do regain the majority, the one clear benefit they get from that is the ability to reject presidential nominations for federal judges and high executive branch officials.

The Democrats might retake the house as all the members of the House are up for reelection. If they get the majority in one or both houses we can look forward to 2 years of deadlock and even more acrimony than we have now. But absent some big revelation that turns enough Republicans to want to take the drastic step of impeachment the president isn't going to get removed from office. It is extremely difficult to do; no president in our history has been removed from office by impeachment.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...mp/1064567002/

he can't keep his hypocritical mouth shut about anything like a sane president would.

even before the manafort jury had completed deliberation and while they were out for the weekend unsequestered, he had to chime in like that was something he should be doing, sending smoke signals to jury members who had unfettered access to any and all media. I wonder if any cashed in on the "offer".

I also wonder if any of you personally know any contractors or their families that were bulldozed over into life-ruining bankruptcy back years ago when faced with the "try and collect the last third" and "thanks for completing the project" game only the superwealthy in Merika are worshipped for successfully "playing".

Those bulldozed over and relieved of their resources became irrelevant and without voice$ since our government does not li$ten to or $erve losers.

I certainly do know some of those folks and there is nothing admirable or respectable about such tactics.

In all fairness, the opposition in 2016 had a well-established track record of masterfully playing the same Machiavellian "game" and the problem is the people who complacently sit back and allow our elected and hired help to "reform" campaign finance and lobbying laws, repeal sound financial and trade regulations, and while they laugh all the way to their banks. I suppose Citizens United apporaches the pinnacle of Merikan Complacency and Idiocrisy and consistently borne out in our time and time again finding zero fault with putting absurdly wealthy pricks in office without so much as demanding our hired help ever produce the first tax return.

Americans are just a special kind of stupid.

Just in, New York State serves process on Cohen compelling him to appear relative to the Trump Foundation investigation. Inevitable will be a full and complete review of DJT's overseas and Russian business dealings he warned the DOJ was off limits not too very long ago. I'm saying this will turn into one hell of a train wreck and I hope I don't take too much pleasure in seeing several and many go down hard.

https://www.gofundme.com/hqjupj-mich...hen-truth-fund

this is interesting, you don't have to be a Navajo code talker to decipher he is had by the short hairs and is does not look good for several.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2