Default Social Security Name is Different From the One on the Birth Certificate

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Puerto Rico
    When my wife was born her father use his last two names in her birth certificate and when her mother requested her social security card she used what should have been the correct ones, She has lived all her life like that but now that she is reaching 62 she is worried that this might be a problem because her drivers license and other legal documents appear with different last names from her social security. does any one know how can tis be corrected?

Default Re: Social Security Name is Different to the One in Birth Certificate

Quote Quoting misteryman
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Puerto Rico
    When my wife was born her father use his last two names in her birth certificate and when her mother requested her social security card she used what should have been the correct ones, She has lived all her life like that but now that she is reaching 62 she is worried that this might be a problem because her drivers license and other legal documents appear with different last names from her social security. does any one know how can tis be corrected?
    Do last names in Puerto Rico normally following the Latin American standard of being a double last name? Dad's first last name and mom's first last name?

So, if mom's last name is Smith Jones and dad's last name is James Henry the child's normal last name would be James Smith?

Quote Quoting misteryman
    View Post
    does any one know how can tis be corrected?
    Sure, your nearest social security office personnel would know all about that.

I suggest your wife pick a morning during the week and go to the social security office (with a book to read) and get some guidance.

She can call the SSA 800# and ask for an appointment. The wait it not long when you have an appointment. Local field offices are not as busy towards the end of the month.

1. Sponsored Links