Angry Can You Get a Refund of Fees if Your Vehicle is Towed for Having No Plates

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York (New York City)

I have a motorcycle which I park on the street opposite my apartment. I always have it covered. One day I was walking home from the subway and saw that the cover had been lifted up and that the license plate was stolen. I couldn't do much about it right then and there because it was passed 6pm so I put the cover back down and intended to go to the DMV the following day. What I did do was go to the cops that night and report the plate as stolen.

Next day I went outside and my bike had been towed. They must have lifted the cover and seen the plate missing. I had to go and get a new plate and registration which has taken almost a week. I just got it back from the impound. I have a $65 ticket and several hundred dollars in tow and storage fees.

I want my money back. I wasn't given a fair chance to do anything about this. I can fight the ticket but what about the fees? I had to pay them already to get the bike back. Do I get a refund if I win the ticket dispute? I have the police report regarding the stolen plate so is there something I can do with that?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Can I Get a Refund of Vehicle Tow Fees

You can't get the money refunded. There is no basis for that.

You cannot park a motor vehicle on any public street with no plates. In addition, you cannot cover your vehicle if it is parked on a public street. You got off easy - you could have been issued two Notices of Parking Violation.

All of NYC is a tow-away zone. Any parking violation can result in a tow in addition to a Notice of Violation being issued - no warning is necessary.

Quote Quoting EJay
    View Post
    Wow. NY's traffic laws always seem to be quite strict.
    Yeah, one of the many reasons I left.

Where I grew up you had to move your car from one side of the street to another 4 days a week for the street cleaning vehicle to come through.

They've got parking enforcement officers who walk around a single neighborhood all day or all night ticketing and towing.

It was bad.

Thank you both for the insight. Yeah, I was afraid that I'm basically screwed but that does seem to be the case.

I'm selling my motorcycle because of this incident. I'm just sick of the parking tickets, the fees... it's costing me a fortune. I got three tickets last year for not "displaying" my license plate because I had my bike covered. Covered! I mean come on, really? I want to protect it against the weather, I'm not trying to hide anything. Lift the cover if you want to see the plate.

It makes me really mad that the city doesn't protect vehicle owners but there you go. Not much I can do about it but sell the bike and move somewhere else.

Quote Quoting jtrory
    View Post
    I got three tickets last year for not "displaying" my license plate because I had my bike covered. Covered! I mean come on, really?
    Yes, really. It is illegal to cover your vehicle on a public street. If you don't like that then you should find a garage to park in.

Quote Quoting EJay
    View Post
    What are you supposed to do to prevent a tow if your plates are stolen?
    I'm sure you could figure something out.

Yep, that's why a lot of car covers have plastic windows over the license plate area now.

1. Sponsored Links