Default How Can Teachers Protect Themselves from Slander by Students

My question involves defamation and slander in the state of:
    Georgia.
    Because Georgia is a right-to-work state teachers' unions are illegal. That results in teachers having no legal protections against violent or slanderous students. What can teachers in Georgia do to protect themselves legally from students who lie in order to get out of trouble? How can teachers in Georgia protect themselves from slander? I do not want to have to get into a situation where I have to debate a child who has lied about me in order to get out of trouble. This has occurred once before but it occurred where there was a camera present and I was proven innocent. The students in my school are frequently dishonest as well as violent and there are no cameras in the classrooms. If a student lies about me, whether it be about actions or words, what can I LEGALLY do to protect myself from disciplinary action and legal consequences?

Default Re: How Can a Georgia Teacher Protect Themselves from Slander

Keep a camera running in your classroom. Or you consider a career change.

Cameras are used in all hallways, cafeterias, libraries and offices but are not permitted in classrooms. Telling someone to simply get another job when there is obvious injustice occurring is not constructive. I'm seeking advice from those who are knowledgeable in this area, not simply any random person.

Quote Quoting VulnerableInGA
    View Post
    Cameras are used in all hallways, cafeterias, libraries and offices but are not permitted in classrooms. Telling someone to simply get another job when there is obvious injustice occurring is not constructive. I'm seeking advice from those who are knowledgeable in this area, not simply any random person.
    Why are they not permitted in classrooms?

It's nonsensical. My only guess would be that although school systems are VERY concerned about THEIR OWN LIABILITIES they're not so concerned with those of teachers. I've seen several good teachers in my almost 30 years of experience thrown under the bus because it was simply expeditious to do so. Such is life in a so-called "Right to Work" state.

Have you looked up the law or policy regarding no cameras in classrooms ?

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

First, your doing a little mixing and matching of issues. Unions exist to provide collective bargaining for teachers (in this case) and for enforcement of its members rights. They do not provide protection from students and their complaints, at least directly, though they do provide that teachers who've been complained about from management.

As to cameras: classrooms are broadly considered areas where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in many states and that includes GA. Special Needs classrooms, however, are now permitted to have cameras. This reasonable expectation of privacy creates the need for waivers to be completed by parent in the event that teachers videotape classes for various applications, such as providing evidence for Nation Board Certification of the pursuit of graduate studies. Even then, those waivers are explicit as to time and dates of the taping.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: How Can Teachers Protect Themselves from Slander by Students

View Post
    Because Georgia is a right-to-work state teachers' unions are illegal.
    A state's status as a "right to work state" does not mean unions are illegal (and, indeed, it would be unconstitutional for a state to make unions illegal). "Right to work" simply means that an employee cannot be forced to join a labor union as a condition of employment. If you google "georgia teacher union," you will find plenty of teachers' unions in Georgia.

View Post
    That results in teachers having no legal protections against violent or slanderous students.
    That makes no sense. Even if the premise of this statement were true, teachers' unions do not provide "protections against violent or slanderous students."

View Post
    What can teachers in Georgia do to protect themselves legally from students who lie in order to get out of trouble?
    Please give a concrete example of what you're talking about, including why a teacher might need "protection" from such a student.

View Post
    How can teachers in Georgia protect themselves from slander?
    The same way every other human in the United States does it, which is to say that "protect[ing] [oneself] from slander" simply isn't possible. Students have been slandering teachers as long as teachers and students have existed, and no law or labor union is going to stop that.

View Post
    If a student lies about me, whether it be about actions or words, what can I LEGALLY do to protect myself from disciplinary action and legal consequences?
    Rather obviously, the answer to this question depends on the unique facts and circumstances of such an incident. It's worth pointing out, however, that you'd still have to deal with situations like this even if you were in a union.

Default Re: How Can Teachers Protect Themselves from Slander by Students

Teacher's unions typically include in the dues legal protection in case the teacher is sued. I've not seen any one that provides for proactive litigation against someone else. Having been married to a teacher and having half of my family who are teachers or in other educational situations (I myself was a Unversity Adminstrator), I'm trying to image just what situation the original poster is concerned with. Generally, anything kids say to get out of things is largely discounted. Being "slandered" by your students come with the position of being in authority over them. Now if a parent wants to get in the mix, or the allegations rise to the level of a mandatory report, then you've got bigger issues than just "slander."

1. Sponsored Links