Default Ex-Roommate Will Not Give Me My Security Deposit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Oklahoma
    I, along with two roommates who are sisters, signed a lease back in July of 2017. Over the course of the year they had caused quite a bit of damage to the house. When we moved out a month ago the landlord said that the amount of the damage was more than the security and pet deposit combined. They both admitted to taking full responsibility for the damages and even told the landlord they would pay me my part of the security deposit back directly. Itís been a month and Iíve received nothing. Theyíve even blocked my number so that I can not speak to them regarding the matter. This is very frustrating because I personally did not damage anything. Is there anything I could do to receive any money back?

Default Re: Ex-Roommate Will Not Give Me My Security Deposit

You can sue your former roommates in small claims court.

I am seriously considering small claims court. Her argument for not paying me the money is that Iím the reason for the carpet in the living room needing to be replaced. Her dog urinated all over the carpet in there. In one spot I used vinegar and baking soda to attempt to clean up some of the mess, the smell had become unbearable as the urine had sat there for months. The carpet became slightly discolored from this but I still think the dog urine was the need for the replacement. Do you see validity in her argument? I personally do not because again, her dog urintaed all over the floor.

It's not up to us to decide this. It would be up to a court to determine the validity of both sides of this argument. We have no idea if the carpet needed to be replaced due to the urine odor or your attempt to clean this leading to a discoloration.

How much money are you talking about here? Keep in mind that even if you win your judgment it is still up to you to collect these funds. The court will do nothing to help you with this part of the judgment.

Gail

I will need to talk to the man that replaced the carpet but the urine had been there for at least 6 months with no attempt from her to clean it. The smell was really terrible, even when I bought the urine deodorizer spray, it did not work. I think that it soaked through to the padding and would of needed to be replaced regardless, but again I will need to talk to the man who replaced the carpet. Itís $293, which I know isnít a lot of money but I just graduated college and need the money.

1. Sponsored Links