Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Involuntary Haldol Injection in the Emergency Room

My question involves malpractice in the state of: Connecticut

I was taken to the ER because my mom thought I may be suicidal. I was intoxicated on alcohol. I shouted, made it clear I wanted out, etc. They moved me from what seemed like the general-drunk people area to "Purple Pod". There I was further restrained and injected with Ativan and Haldol. My issue is about the use of Haldol.

Haldol is generally used to treat psychosis, which I was not experiencing. I've seen some references to it being used to treat agitation, but when I researched further, everything I could find related to agitation presenting with psychosis. When a psychiatric doctor met with me the next day. I mentioned my concern with being injected with Haldol, as I know it is a first-generation anti-psychotic, and is not used as widely as it has been in the past, because it can result in some nasty side-effects such as tardive dyskinesia and pill-rolling behaviors.

The psychiatric doctor dismissive of my concerns told me that that only happens over a period of time. I’ve also seen some information that alcohol intoxication contra-indicates the use of Haldol. Haldol can also be very bad for people with Parkinson’s, which my grandfather has.

Haldol use in those with Alzheimer’s results in an increased mortality rate. Today my grandmother died of Alzheimer’s. Also, after getting out of the ER, I’ve been experiencing difficulty getting to sleep, due to anxiety about being taken from my home and back into a psychiatric unit as I was. I mention this, because I can’t help but wonder whether I was experiencing rebound paranoia from the dose of Haldol, which I don’t think I should have received.

Is this worth pursuing as a medical malpractice case?

Default Re: Haldol Injection in Er

So do you have any damages? Unless you have some actual ongoing issues directly attributable to the drug, there's nothing to pursue EVEN IF the prescribing was negligent.

You can bring all your documentation to a medical malpractice attorney and they can give a read on it. My "from a distance" view is that you don't have much of a case.

Quote Quoting a123
    View Post
    Is this worth pursuing as a medical malpractice case?
    Not likely. Your post is full of stuff you looked up, but nothing in your post suggests you suffered any ill effects from this one time injection. Also, I'm not a doctor and have no tangible evidence regarding your condition at the time the injection was administered, so I haven't the slightest idea if the use of this drug was or wasn't appropriate. You are, of course, free to consult with a local medical malpractice attorney. However, in the absence of any damages, you will have no viable case.

I stopped going to work after the visit, since I was experiencing anxiety and having difficulty sleeping, which I believe may have been due to rebound paranoia. My muscles seem stiff, which is a side-effect. Perhaps, latent Alzheimers or Parkinsons was nudged forward. I'm sure a lawyer is most interested in damages relating to an injury, but even besides any injury (big besides IMO), is there no path for punitive damages? I kinda thought maybe some sort of legal action could help protect other people in similar situations, should the staff be injecting people with anti psychotics willy-nilly.

Quote Quoting a123
    View Post
    is there no path for punitive damages?
    Punitive damages are not available in medical malpractice cases. They're only available for intentional torts.

Quote Quoting a123
    View Post
    I kinda thought maybe some sort of legal action could help protect other people in similar situations
    The only reason for you to sue is to obtain redress for your injuries. You are, however, obviously free to complaint to the state medical licensing board.

Well, there was a real Nurse Ratched dynamic to the whole thing. My thinking was that this was not warranted, but given to me to kinda learn me who was boss. Like a frustrated medical professional not so much treating me, but intentionally injecting me with something I did not need.

Also, because I can't necessarily demonstrate an injury, does not mean I was not injured. If this medication should not have been given to me, perhaps those who gave it to me should help me track potential injuries, by paying for the appropriate medical follow-up.

Have you seen a psychiatrist and other doctors for the injuries you claim ? Are you currently receiving treatment for these injuries ? If not. You have no proof. How have these injuries affected your ability to earn a living ? Were you working before ? .

Perhaps avoiding alcohol to the point of significant intoxication might be a better choice for you.

Gail

Haldol and Ativan are given as a chemical restraint, often in conjunction with physical restraint. The Ativan puts the patient down fast and the Haldol keeps them down for a while. Nothing unusual about the concurrent use of these two together.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Ditto.

I have frequently seen both given together for combative and/or aggressively dissociated patients in the ER. It's not at all uncommon.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast