Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Police Shooting in Minneapolis

As some of you may know, a person by the name of Thurman Blevins was fatally shot in Minneapolis a few days ago. My understanding is that police were called to a location where an individual reportedly was wandering the streets, intoxicated, and firing a handgun. When police arrived they found a man (who presumably matched the descript.) holding a gun. This man, Mr. Blevins, took off running with the gun, and police gave chase, repeatedly telling Mr. Blevins to stop, and "put your hands up". They also threatened to shoot. But Mr. Blevins kept running, all the while saying "why are you chasing me? Leave me alone" - with the gun still in his hand. The chase lasted about 40 sec (?) and ended with the police opening fire on Mr. Blevins, who died shortly thereafter.

First thing is, the Minneapolis PD says that, according to one report I read, were forced to fire at Blevins "only after he pointed a gun and fired at the officers.” If you watch the bodycam vid the PD released, you can see this is simply not true. Mr. Blevins' back is to the police officer when he fired the first shot, and Mr. Blevins never fired.

In '85, the SCOTUS found that LE can not use deadly force upon a fleeing suspect, unless that person posed a threat:

Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)[2], is a civil case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that, under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, the officer may not use deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others." It was found that use of deadly force to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment, in the absence of probable cause that the fleeing suspect posed a physical danger.

So, the first Q for me - is whether or not someone who is fleeing police while armed, but not firing nor pointing the firearm anywhere, poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

I can see arguments on both sides. Yes - he has a gun, which he has already fired. No - although he has a gun, he is running away and not currently threatening to shoot.

Then comes the 2nd Q for me - if it's no, what then are the officers supposed to do?

Default Re: Police Shooting in Minneapolis

I'm not going to speak to the issue of if it was a clean shot or not. As you wrote, Tennessee v. Garner stated unless as your wrote "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

A guy that is running down the street with a gun that the police have every reason to believe has been firing said gun meets that standard. IMHO.

I would say there is a strong argument for yes. If he was the suspect they were after and had been negligently discharging said gun, that represents a significant threat of serious physical injury to others. Those bullets have to go somewhere after all.

At the same time, an argument could be made for no, if there is absolutely no evidence that contradicts what a single officer's bodycam saw, that he wasn't enough of a threat to justify the shooting.

Odds are that there will be no action taken against the officer although the norm of not charging officers is beginning to change lately.

I haven't watched any bodycam footage of this so I can't comment on that.

2A, use that extensive training to stop the fleeing suspect without mortally wounding him.

Zero respect for back shooters.

Interesting, the same just popped up in Nashville and despite Davidson county commission allotting 15 million to equip Nashville police officers with body cams over a year ago, only 20 have them.

New surveillance videos just obtained yesterday show some sketchy details yet so far, no videos of the actual homicide have been produced.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...I/augzyuKoPcgJ

In a county so small all jury panelists are likely to be kissing cousins or prudent enough to know there will be reprisals if all 12 go against the wishes of the cartel with the statitsical odds against just one of the 12, including the hand-picked and not from the jury pool foreman, not with concealed adverse interests, being almost impossible. All it took was one to say no.

The unarmed Marshall was over 40 yards away and some reports say 100 yards when he was shot in the back.

Fine marksmanship either way, likely could have taken a leg had he aimed to do so.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    Zero respect for back shooters.
    Assuming the shoot is otherwise clean, while the police may have shot him in the back there where people somewhere in front of the armed, fleeing suspect.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Assuming the shoot is otherwise clean, while the police may have shot him in the back there where people somewhere in front of the armed, fleeing suspect.
    I didn't catch that from the OP and haven't researched it having become weary of not a day passing without multiple kill shots made on citizens, behaving badly or otherwise.

I did catch the story offered by law enforcement about the departed firing on them was proven false.

Once certain lines are crossed with regards to homicidal liars with a badge, sympathy can be found between sh!t and syphilis in the dictionary.

Notice in my first post I mention a recent Nashville shooting which is currently driving citizens to get a community oversight board on the ballot.

Secondly I posted a link to a trooper that shot a running unarmed man in the back without any provocation or justification while his children watched.

The second one happened some years back and the trooper never had the temperment to be commissioned and was known for hunting a reason to try out his sharp shooting.

I suppose we could call it Drejka Syndrome at 40+ yards.

I am not speaking of about the police shootings you were talking about because I have done absolutely zero research on them and don't plan to.

I have though watched the video the OP posted and you can not tell from it if the guy turned the gun towards the police or not.

I understand and with regards to the Minneapolis shooting, did the police proffer that the departed fired on them and did the video substantiate that?

You made me look at the OP again to verify I didn't overlook a video posted.

If there is one, I don't see it and if it exists, I can only deduce my running of only 2 of 5 scripts that desire to run on this page must preclude the video or its link not displaying.

I am usually one of the first people to get up in arms when a police officer kills or seriously injures someone without clear need.

I will have to say however, that someone running with a gun in their hand, IS a danger to others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v41ZwYbkAog

I watched the video, reckon ten shots were sufficient?

Guess so, he's dead and I didn't see him threatening or endangering anyone.

1) It appeared the officer may have injured the audio pallete of any women and children with his gratuitous F-bombs that were completely uncalled for.

2) It appeared he was close enough several times to taze him

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast