Default If the Lethal Injection Cocktails Are Such a Problem, Why Not Use CO?

I just thought of something.

In the past few years, we have heard of botched lethal injection executions, and resulting legal battles over the cocktails, their usage, and of course the 8th A gets thrown into the mix.

On the one hand, the protocols and dugs used are causing and/or will cause the sentenced to suffer. On the other hand, they do not. Then we have 'cruel and unusual punishment'. It is. Until it isn't.

Why not use carbon monoxide as the "cocktail"? Isn't CO completely painless? You sedate the sentenced, and fill the room with CO. Obviously, you get everyone out first, but wouldn't the person just fall asleep, and then expire? Why not do that? Dare I think the reason is that we as a society secretly want someone who has committed capital murder to suffer?

Default Re: If the Lethal Injection Coktails Are Such a Problem, Why Not Use CO?

We had such a device called the gas chamber. Wasn't particularly quick (and CO would be even worse than the gasses used). Last use was in the 1990's in the US.

Default Re: If the Lethal Injection Coktails Are Such a Problem, Why Not Use CO?

One reason would be the political fallout of suggesting it. As soon as it was even suggested, anti-death penalty groups would brand the person doing the suggesting a Nazi/Hitler cause guess who used CO gas?

why not allow those condemned to choose the method of their execution?

my ex had made her mind up she was going to savagely consort me to death and walk away with my estate no contest.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    why not allow those condemned to choose the method of their execution?

my ex had made her mind up she was going to savagely consort me to death and walk away with my estate no contest.
    Funny funny. If you can’t handle the heat in the kitchen, it’s time for a new chef. Some people just aren’t capable of being a good chef and any task above boiling water seems overly arduous to them, but rather than see their “short”comings, they blame the patrons for having excessive demands.

Oh wow - didn't even think of the Nazi connection. And I am a Jew :/

Yet still... I am not suggesting we go back to the old method, of putting the person in a room, and dropping potassium cyanide or sodium cyanide into a pan of hydrochloric acid, forcing the person to choke to death. If you sedate the person (as thy do now w/LI), and then fill the room with CO, would that not cause the person to just "die in their sleep"? I am not sure how that is not a better alternative to LI.

And if the gov't does a good job selling this as a much more humane way to execute, that should be able to greatly reduce - if not eliminate - any potential political blowback, no?

Cheers.

Quote Quoting riffwraith
    View Post
    Oh wow - didn't even think of the Nazi connection. And I am a Jew :/

Yet still... I am not suggesting we go back to the old method, of putting the person in a room, and dropping potassium cyanide or sodium cyanide into a pan of hydrochloric acid, forcing the person to choke to death. If you sedate the person (as thy do now w/LI), and then fill the room with CO, would that not cause the person to just "die in their sleep"? I am not sure how that is not a better alternative to LI.

And if the gov't does a good job selling this as a much more humane way to execute, that should be able to greatly reduce - if not eliminate - any potential political blowback, no?

Cheers.
    I think the administrators of the process feel there needs to be some level of retribution and subjecting the executed to some level of pain and or fear as the process begins is part of their intent

it was quite fun for a while and I can't think of many better ways to go, she just got real serious about it and made it pretty clear she didn't have time to wait 30 or 40 years for her plan to work

1. Sponsored Links