Default Falsely Accused of Owing Money to an Ex-Roommate

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas

I moved in with a “friend” in April and was paying half of the rent every month(500) however I was not on the lease. I never saw a utility bill or anything for that matter. He demanded utilities and extras and I paid what I had to him which wasn’t much. After a while I lost my vehicle and had to pay 2/3 days late for a few months due to pay cycles. Roommate started snooping in room, throwing away my stuff stating that he was cleaning and that I couldn’t do anything about it. He was also very poor with money management, so I was always approached with ”I’m overdraft’d on my account because of you now you owe me X amount.” He was making up amounts from $300-$500 and so on which would amount to almost 30 overdraft fees plus. I felt unsafe living there after the last incident of him going though my room and throwing away my things. Since I didn’t have a car and still don’t I grabbed what I could and left.

However, now he’s posting online stating I owe him X amount however he never sticks with a set amount and it’s never the same from person to person. He has created group messages with one of my employers and employees stating this and that calling me out of my name and threatening to throw away my stuff; thus costing me a job. I have stuff at the apartment still however, I don’t feel I owe him any money, due to never seeing a single bill.

Matter is now I want my stuff back, and I want him to cease posting my name on public groups and messaging my bosses. What do I do now that I no longer live there and I need my belonging returned yet he keeps bad mouthing me publicly with no proof?

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Owing Money to an Ex-Roommate

You can sue your ex-roommate for defamation. I am skeptical that you will be able to prove that your ex-roommate cost you a job, but if you can prove it you can try to recover for the wages you lost before you found alternative employment. You also need to keep in mind that legal fees for a defamation case can easily get into the five figures.

If you have chosen to leave stuff behind after moving out, and you believe it is in danger of being discarded, basic common sense says that you should collect it. If the issue is that you need a vehicle to collect your stuff, get a friend or family member to loan you a car, or rent one for the day.

Your not "feeling" that you owe him money does not of itself mean that you don't owe him money. That's something that would be sorted out in court based upon the facts and evidence presented in court.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You can sue your ex-roommate for defamation. I am skeptical that you will be able to prove that your ex-roommate cost you a job, but if you can prove it you can try to recover for the wages you lost before you found alternative employment. You also need to keep in mind that legal fees for a defamation case can easily get into the five figures.

If you have chosen to leave stuff behind after moving out, and you believe it is in danger of being discarded, basic common sense says that you should collect it. If the issue is that you need a vehicle to collect your stuff, get a friend or family member to loan you a car, or rent one for the day.

Your not "feeling" that you owe him money does not of itself mean that you don't owe him money. That's something that would be sorted out in court based upon the facts and evidence presented in court.
    I didn’t have a car and still don’t I grabbed what I could and left.

However, now he’s posting online stating I owe him X amount however he never sticks with a set amount and it’s never the same from person to person. He has created group messages with one of my employers and employees stating this and that calling me out of my name and threatening to throw away my stuff; thus costing me a job. I have stuff at the apartment still however, I don’t feel I owe him any money, due to never seeing a single bill.

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    I didn’t have a car and still don’t I grabbed what I could and left.

Reported as spam.

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    I didnít have a car and still donít I grabbed what I could and left.

However, now heís posting online stating I owe him X amount however he never sticks with a xender discord omegle set amount and itís never the same from person to person. He has created group messages with one of my employers and employees stating this and that calling me out of my name and threatening to throw away my stuff; thus costing me a job. I have stuff at the apartment still however, I donít feel I owe him any money, due to never seeing a single bill.

Reported (again) as the spammer that nailiyatsi is.

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    Reported (again) as the spammer that nailiyatsi is.
    Continuing to post comments like this is only going to increase the frequency of his/her/its garbage posts.

1. Sponsored Links