47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Some Charities are Not Very Charitable

My brother is a partner in a 501c3. It's purpose is to help the ultra wealthy facilitate the transfer of the family business(s) and wealth to the subsequent generations. I'm talking the stupid wealthy. He travels around the world doing this. It pays him enough to support his family in the Boston area on a single income and have enough left over for some nice extras. His business most definitely is NOT a charitable organization but neither is it a money maker for the business as far a profit goes.

I also recall many scandals in the 501c3 world that made their way into the national consciousness when it was discovered how the revenue was used, such as $300K salaries for CEOs, etc. Ways that were legit as far as 501c3's went but raised some serious issues for the legitimacy of those organizations.

As Inigo Montoya said, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: 501c3 Animal Rescue Adoption Fee with Returned Dog - Refundable

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post

As Inigo Montoya said, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    Back at you.

You keep insisting on something that has no basis in reality and what your brother or anybody else does is irrelevant.

This is a contract issue between you and the rescue service.

You pay a fee you get a dog.

In the absence of an express refund policy, there is no refund.

It's that simple.

If you still don't understand that, you are free to sue the rescue service in small claims court and see how that goes.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Psst...Mark isn't the OP.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Psst...Mark isn't the OP.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Back at you.

You keep insisting on something that has no basis in reality and what your brother or anybody else does is irrelevant.

You pay a fee you get a dog.

In the absence of an express refund policy, there is no refund.

It's that simple.

If you still don't understand that, you are free to sue the rescue service in small claims court and see how that goes.
    With me NOT being the OP, AJ, my point is that being a 501c3 is not indicative of an organization being charitable, in and of itself. It's still a business and it still needs to make money.
    "They go up!"

Well, if they declare themselves to be a charity, they are one. Right?

Default Re: Some Charities are Not Very Charitable

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    My brother is a partner in a 501c3.
    As an aside, it is not 501c3. These are organizations exempt under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 501(c)(3). Thus, they'd properly be called 501(c)(3) organizations. Also, bear in mind that not all of these organizations are charities. This category of exempt organization includes organizations "operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."

I work for a university. A very big, very prominent, very wealthy, very well known, very much in the news, university. We are a 501(c) (3) organization. Not because we are a charity - we're not, though we are very generous with financial aid to students. But because we are an educational institution.

Just as an example.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    As an aside, it is not 501c3. These are organizations exempt under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 501(c)(3). Thus, they'd properly be called 501(c)(3) organizations. Also, bear in mind that not all of these organizations are charities. This category of exempt organization includes organizations "operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."
    I'm too lazy for all of the characters sometimes. Odd, given that use similar structure for quoting NEC and other regulations.
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links