Default SSI Overpayments and Credit Report History Removal

My question involves personal finance in the State of: Massachusetts

My daughter was part of the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health (DMH) system as a teenager (and young adult). She lived in a group home. She received SSI payments during this time. The group home acted as rep payee, and attached SSI payments as part of their program fees.

During her time in the program, she started working at a part time job. Her work eventually effected her SSI eligible amount; SSI started decreasing her payments. She also received overpayment notices; The rep payee acknowledged this and assured her that they would be making repayments to SS.

In 2016, after she filed her taxes she received a notification from the IRS that SSI was attaching $1291 of her tax refund for payment of her debt. Now, by this time she had left the program. In fact, at the time she left the program (March 2016) they gave her a check for as fairly large sum of money ($1291) that represented what she owed SSI. They told her she had 36 months to pay them off. Obviously, they never sent in the money as they promised.

Fast forward 2 years later and she is trying to obtain a credit card and is being denied because of late payment history. She obtained her credit reports and was surprised to discover that the issue is with SSI! The credit report shows a high amount of $1691 and a status of paid and closed Clearly, the rep payee only sent in $400 to SSI.

How do we get this removed from her credit report/history ? By the time she understood she owed that money it was already too late; IRS attached it. She had a rep payee that was responsible for managing this money; how is it she can be held this responsible? Does she really have to live with this for 7 years? What are her legal options?

Default Re: SSI Overpayments and Credit Report History Removal

All you can do is send a letter explaining the issue to the various credit reporting agencies.

Here is a sample letter from Credit Karma's website

Sample credit dispute letter
    Bob Loblaw
    123 First Lane
    Anytown, FL 12345
    DOB: 01/01/01
    Account#: 1234-56789

TransUnion
    PO Box 2000
    Chester, PA 19016

May 1, 2018

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to inform you about an error I noticed on my TransUnion credit report (account number 1234-56789).

Date of item being disputed: (add the date of the item here)
    Description of dispute: (add a brief description of what is showing up on your credit report and why it’s wrong here)
    Enclosure: (list any supporting evidence you’re sending along, such as a billing statement or a credit report with the highlighted error)
    I am requesting that you remove this information from my credit report.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

(sign your name here)

Where can I send my credit dispute letter?
    Here are the addresses for the three major credit bureaus.

Equifax
    PO Box 740256
    Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

Experian
    PO Box 9701
    Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
    PO Box 2000
    Chester, PA 19016

Default Re: SSI Overpayments and Credit Report History Removal

Entering a dispute with the credit report agency was completely useless. Their statement was that the record is marked paid and closed, the credit history will remain on the record for 10 years (I thought it was 7?) and that the (Equifax, in this case) reporting agency is unable to remove a record based on a dispute; we must go to the creditor (SSA in this case) and as them to contact the credit agency to have the record removed. BTW, the service representatives at Equifax are complete snots. Unintelligible english, rude attitude, totally not helpful.

1. Sponsored Links