Default Kicked Out of a Shared Apartment After Being Added to the Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of : Washington.
    **not using their actual names.**

The original lease was signed by Jean (my best friend at the time) and Jerry (her boyfriend) in November.
    They moved in a few days before thanksgiving as just the two of them.
    Shortly after thanksgiving my boyfriend needed a place to stay so they made him sign the lease, so he could stay there.
    Jean and Jerry both knew that my boyfriend was out of a job, but still had him added to the lease.
    The had in agreement that he was going to pay rent by cleaning the apartment, and watching Jean’s dog while she was at work until he got a job then he was to pay 100$ a month.

Note shortly after my boyfriend move into the living room another guy moves into the living room too. They did not ask this friend to sign the lease in order to live there. This guy had a job and was to play 100$ a month to live there.

Now there was 4 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Jean kicked my boyfriend out because she was mad at me and wanted everything to do with me gone. She hated my boyfriend too. She kicked him out mid January 2018. Him and I lived down the hall till April 2018 before moving to his parents house in another city.

Right now I’m not sure what to do.
    Jean and Jerry have no more roommates but on paper it shows that they still have my boyfriend living with him.
    They haven’t paid rent in two months.
    I’m worried that they will bring down my boyfriend with this.

He’s been trying to get off the lease since he got kicked out in January 2018 but Jean says it’s not her problem and he can get off the lease himself. Which he can’t officially do by himself, can he?

Doesn’t all the people on the lease have to sign a paper to get him off? Or could he simply call the landlord and tell him the situation?

If the couple ends up being evicted from the apartment and sued for the money owed, is there anyway for my boyfriend to not be held responsible for paying for the money owed?
    We have proof of not living there since January 2018.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help. Fiancé Got Kicked Out of Apartment by Roommate and More

"Jean and Jerry both knew that my boyfriend was out of a job, but still had him added to the lease."

Did the landlord/management agree to adding said boyfriend to the current lease or did the two tenants simply add him to this? In other words, were they even allowed to allow extra people to move into the rental unit?

Gail

"Added to the lease" means that the landlord approved of the new co-tenant and added the new co-tenant to the lease. If that's not what happened, it would be important to clarify the facts and use correct terminology; but for now it is reasonable to approach the question on the assumption that the person was a tenant named on the lease.

If the lease expires in November, then it seems likely that the matter will end at that time, based upon the boyfriend's notice to the landlord that he won't be continuing as a tenant for any lease renewal. The boyfriend should make sure that he follows the notice requirements set forth in the lease.

If the boyfriend is named in an eviction action or is sued for unpaid rent or damages, he can file a cross-claim against the other roommates stating that they should have to reimburse him for any money that he is ordered to pay. That's not a perfect solution, but at this point there is no reason to believe that he's going to be named in a lawsuit or eviction case.

Was he added to the lease as a tenant or merely an occupant?

If he was enjoined as a co-tenant, he had no obligation to leave the apartment.

I dont totally agree with mr. k on his last statement. Chances are all co-tenants will be named in an eviction. Failing to do so can cause some problems for the landlord.

That doesn’t mean the landlord would seek compensation from your boyfriend but all tenants will likely be tossed into the same bucket and treated the same which means he will be chased for the money just as the other tenants will be.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    That doesn’t mean the landlord would seek compensation from your boyfriend but all tenants will likely be tossed into the same bucket and treated the same which means he will be chased for the money just as the other tenants will be.
    I'm not sure what part of my post you don't understand. When somebody chases you for money through a lawsuit, and you cross-claim against the other defendants asking that they pay you back if you're ordered to pay damages, that doesn't make the lawsuit go away, and nobody suggested that it would do so -- it just gives you the potential to recover money from the other co-defendants whom you name in your cross-claim.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I'm not sure what part of my post you don't understand. When somebody chases you for money through a lawsuit, and you cross-claim against the other defendants asking that they pay you back if you're ordered to pay damages, that doesn't make the lawsuit go away, and nobody suggested that it would do so -- it just gives you the potential to recover money from the other co-defendants whom you name in your cross-claim.
    Um, I didn’t say anything to the contrary.

I was addressing your statement where you stated there is no reason to believe the boyfriend is going to be named in a lawsuit for money or eviction. There should be a very big concerrn that such a suit is imminent given the two months delinquency and unless the landlord it a yahoo, boyfriend will be named in any suit filed.

I was commenting on the likelihood of theoretical litigation based upon events that have not occurred. That's a separate issue from what happens if in fact a lawsuit is filed.

1. Sponsored Links