Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a University Ban You From a Federal Depository Library

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Virginia The university of Virginia has banned two people who were researching at the law library after it was claimed they were in a room off limits to the public. The university is a Federal depository library. The Federal Depository Library handbook chapter 2 states no one can be barred from a federal depository library. This is fairly straight forward and I'm attempting to get information to the defendants and local reporters. However there is a more serious violation here. One of them was also banned from roads that run through the university. The laws that define roads as public land are quite old. They were mentioned in the book the Law practices of Thomas Jefferson and I have been unable to chase them down. The university which is a tribute to Thomas Jefferson may have this book. They may also have the proceedings of the first road federal road commissioner George Washington who was appointed by President Jefferson. I am planning to visit the library to research this road law issue. This is a law school there is no excuse for this.

Default Re: University of Virginia Bans Two from Federal Depository Library

You posted a very vague and slanted version of the actual story. I certainly sympathize with your point of view but posting vague and slanted versions of the truth don't get you anywhere.

i believe your understanding of the handbook is either incomplete or just plain incorrect.

The same would apply to roadways within a college campus.

A person most certainly can be banned from a public university’s library and it’s campus if there is a reason for doing so. Something being ”public” doesn’t mean those in control of the area are not allowed to enforce rules, including banning.

Quote Quoting bicyclehazard
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: Virginia
    I read all the way to the end of your post, and you didn't ask a single question. Do you actually have one?
    View Post
    The university of Virginia has banned two people who were researching at the law library after it was claimed they were in a room off limits to the public.
    Are you one of these people? Is the claim true?
    View Post
    The Federal Depository Library handbook chapter 2 states no one can be barred from a federal depository library.
    Here's a link where you can download the FDL Handbook. Please provide a citation to the specific page and section number that you believe supports your claim (note that the handbook starts numbering over at the start of each chapter, so citing the page of the PDF will make it easier to find). Please note that the following statement in section 2.4 (pp. 11-12 of the PDF) seems to contradict your claim that "no one [may] be barred": "Did you realize that you don't have to . . . Compromise local security to provide public access. GPO permits various actions by administrators to ensure the security of their facility and personnel as long as a balance exists between the safety of personnel and property and public access."
    View Post
    I'm attempting to get information to the defendants
    Defendants? Are the two individuals being criminally prosecuted?
    View Post
    One of them was also banned from roads that run through the university.
    Because...?
    View Post
    The laws that define roads as public land are quite old. They were mentioned in the book the Law practices of Thomas Jefferson and I have been unable to chase them down. The university which is a tribute to Thomas Jefferson may have this book. They may also have the proceedings of the first road federal road commissioner George Washington who was appointed by President Jefferson.
    Not sure what any of this means, but the laws of the State of Virginia don't exist in arcane texts; all are readily accessible with a simple Google search.

I am not the victim yet. I will be the victim as soon as I set foot on university grounds. You are incorrect public laws are not all accessible to the public or even to judges. The laws have been hidden or in some cases just forgotten. I run across these from time to time and I'm not going to tell you where they are. In some cases the books exist in just one state law library or one university library. They are too vulnerable to having the last public one being destroyed. The closest thing you can find to old road law is the barbed wire wars. This is when the large land owners fenced in their land which included common use roads to keep out other cattle herds. You did not mozy down the road unless the local land "owner" or law allowed you to mozy down the road. There was an episode of bonanza about this. The public fought back and won. Roads are now defined as public land and you have a constitutional right to use them. Grant ordered all federal laws to be gathered together in one place which we call the United States Code. This was not done. There are still laws in the acts of congress before the United States Code that did not make it into the United States Code. There are plenty of copies of those books scattered around. I am picking a fight with all the cowards at the university law school who know I'm right and are afraid of loosing their jobs if they speak out.

View Post
    public laws are not all accessible to the public or even to judges. The laws have been hidden or in some cases just forgotten.
    You've got that right.

"One recent investigation revealed that the United States Congress was passing a new criminal law once a week on average. It has been reported that the problem is so severe that even the Congressional Research Service is no longer able to keep count of the exact number of federal crimes! These laws are scattered throughout all the sections of the United States Code and include thousands of criminal statutes. Even if you somehow had the time to read every page of the federal laws written down in the United States Code—and even practicing lawyers no longer have the time to read all those laws—you still would not know all the different ways you could be prosecuted by the federal government. That’s because many of those statutes written by Congress reference the obscure provisions of many thousands of regulations that have been issued by every federal regulatory agency. It has been estimated that there are tens of thousands of these obscure regulations, any one of which could potentially subject you to criminal prosecution. And that is just the list of federal criminal statutes; the states have an even greater number of crimes on the books.

People who want to read all the federal laws on the books, if they had three decades of free time on their hands, could find them all at any law library collected in a voluminous set of books called the United States Code, which is organized in different sections called titles. One of those fifty-two sections, known as Title 18, is called “Crimes and Criminal Procedure.” It is where any ordinary American citizen would expect to find a complete list of all the crimes recognized under federal law. But even if you took years of your life to read through that entire portion of the Code, believe it or not, you would have missed hundreds of the criminal laws on the books, because they are not all contained in Title 18!"
    Above quoted from "You Have the Right to Remain Innocent" by James Duane. James J. Duane is a professor at Regent Law School in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where he has received the Faculty Excellence Award three times. Duane has been interviewed about legal matters on television and radio, including National Public Radio’s All Things Considered, and has testified before the Advisory Committee of the United States Judicial Conference on the Federal Rules of Evidence. He is the coauthor of Federal Rules of Evidence: Rules, Legislative History, Commentary and Authority and is a member of the panel of academic contributors to Black’s Law Dictionary. He is a graduate of Harvard College and the Harvard Law School. He is the creator and lecturer of the viral youtube videos: "Don't Talk to the Police" and "You Have the Right to Remain Innocent" both of which everybody should watch.

Default Re: Can a University Ban You From a Federal Depository Library

View Post
    The university of Virginia has banned two people who were researching at the law library after it was claimed they were in a room off limits to the public.
    Obviously, they should not have gone into that room.
    The Federal Depository Library handbook chapter 2 states no one can be barred from a federal depository library.
    No, it does not.

Also, allowing access does not mean that access can never be limited based upon what is reasonable, or based upon the misconduct of specific persons who abuse their access to the library. A banned person may seek permission from the university to make a specific trip to the library, or contact the library to discuss alternative means of accessing materials in the collection.
    One of them was also banned from roads that run through the university.
    If you're not faculty, staff or a student, you have no general right to access university property.
    View Post
    I will be the victim as soon as I set foot on university grounds.
    So in truth, you are one of the persons who was banned for trespassing in an off-limits area of the library?
    There was an episode of bonanza about this.
    If you have access to old episodes of Bonanza, why do you feel the need to do actual legal research? You can quote Lorne Green from that show, and perhaps also from Battlestar Galactica, and what more would a judge need to hear?

If you believe that a federal depository library is violating the rights of the public to access the relevant collection, you may make a complaint to the FDLP. There is no case law as of yet that finds a private cause of action for an alleged violation of 44 USC Sec. 1911, but if you have deep pockets or find a lawyer willing to take your case on principle you can try to be the first.

View Post
    You are incorrect public laws are not all accessible to the public or even to judges. The laws have been hidden or in some cases just forgotten. I run across these from time to time and I'm not going to tell you where they are.
    Uh huh...

Allow me to suggest that you seek assistance from a mental health professional.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

If you have access to old episodes of Bonanza, why do you feel the need to do actual legal research? You can quote Lorne Green from that show, and perhaps also from Battlestar Galactica, and what more would a judge need to hear?
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I'm surprised none of you asked for the article the link is below. I was not banned from the university. I have been enforcing road laws since around 1992. I also attended the law clinics of Ray Thomas who is a cycling activist. You may have heard of him since he was he first person to win a law suit against a tobacco company. I have read all of title 23. Generally I concentrate on enforcing title 23 section 109m united states code. I ride the disputed roads and am pulled over by the police. I have won every time. http://www.c-ville.com/activist-theologian/ Thank you you have answered my questions.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast