Default Can a Grandparent Get Visitation After a Parent Surrenders Parental Rights

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Texas. My son had a cps case against him last year. His son was placed with the mothers sister. My son ended up in jail and while he was in jail his lawyer advised him to sign his rights over so he did. Now I cannot see my grandson either. I would like to know if there is a possibility that he could get his rights back and do I as a grandmother have any rights?

Default Re: Help

Quote Quoting dyvaughn
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Texas. My son had a cps case against him last year. His son was placed with the mothers sister. My son ended up in jail and while he was in jail his lawyer advised him to sign his rights over so he did. Now I cannot see my grandson either. I would like to know if there is a possibility that he could get his rights back and do I as a grandmother have any rights?
    What do you mean by "sign his rights over"? Are you talking about visitation/custody rights or parental rights? If its parental rights its a done deal...the child would no longer be his child, legally.

Default Re: Can a Grandparent Get Visitation After a Parent Surrenders Parental Rights

Quote Quoting dyvaughn
    View Post
    My son ended up in jail and while he was in jail his lawyer advised him to sign his rights over so he did.
    Did the child's mother lose her parental rights as well?

Default Re: Can a Grandparent Get Visitation After a Parent Surrenders Parental Rights

Quote Quoting dyvaughn
    View Post
    So a lawyer advised your son to voluntarily relinquish his rights? How? Usually there has to be a stepparent to adopt or there's an extreme case of neglect or abuse. Parents generally can't just "give up" their rights.

Did he give up custody or visitation you mean? Grandparents rights usually has to do with divorces or death of a parent and there's a pre-existing relationship with the grandparent and grandchild.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    So a lawyer advised your son to voluntarily relinquish his rights? How? Usually there has to be a stepparent to adopt or there's an extreme case of neglect or abuse. Parents generally can't just "give up" their rights.

Did he give up custody or visitation you mean? Grandparents rights usually has to do with divorces or death of a parent and there's a pre-existing relationship with the grandparent and grandchild.
    In Texas, a parent can give up their rights voluntarily. Granted, it takes some doing, but it can be done.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

1. Sponsored Links