Default Proper Care for a Nursing Home Resident at Risk of Falling

My question involves a person located in the state of: Missouri

My father has been in a nursing home for 2-1/2 years due to having Menier's disease and inability to walk any longer. He has taken all meals in his room for over 2 years. Now, just in the past 2 weeks, they are making him go to the dining room to eat breakfast (Mom is there with him in his room for lunch and dinner) because he "may choke." Then, he is left sitting in his wheelchair for 2 hours or more while they take everyone back to their rooms. He has never had an issue with choking. However, he does have advanced Menier's and has had falls from his chair in the past. I am afraid he is going to fall and be injured while left sitting in the wheelchair for so long. Can they force him to go to the dining room for breakfast? He is quite capable of feeding himself. His only disability is not being able to walk.

Default Re: Proper Care for a Nursing Home Resident at Risk of Falling

Maybe they want him in the dining room where staff will be present and can help him if he does choke, and maybe they don't have the staff to sit in his room while he eats breakfast?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting DebHunz
    View Post
    My question involves a person located in the state of: Missouri

My father has been in a nursing home for 2-1/2 years due to having Menier's disease and inability to walk any longer. He has taken all meals in his room for over 2 years. Now, just in the past 2 weeks, they are making him go to the dining room to eat breakfast (Mom is there with him in his room for lunch and dinner) because he "may choke." Then, he is left sitting in his wheelchair for 2 hours or more while they take everyone back to their rooms. He has never had an issue with choking. However, he does have advanced Menier's and has had falls from his chair in the past. I am afraid he is going to fall and be injured while left sitting in the wheelchair for so long. Can they force him to go to the dining room for breakfast? He is quite capable of feeding himself. His only disability is not being able to walk.
    I referred your question to my friend who is a social worker specializing in the aging.

Then can't "force" him to go to the dining room for breakfast but they have no obligation to serve him breakfast in his room and have every right to decline to do so unless he has something in his contract that requires it. If they were inclined to do it they could charge extra money per meal for the service.

Bottom line, if he wants breakfast, he goes to the dining room. If you don't want him left sitting in his wheelchair for 2 hours I suggest you grease somebody's palm so he gets priority.

How old is your father?
    Does he have all of his mental faculties?
    Is he on Medicaid or Private Pay?

So is he "left sitting for 2hrs" or is he just the last one they move out of the dining room back to their room?

There is a big difference. If it just takes them that long to clear the dining room, someone has to be last. At this point it just happens to be your dad. They have to set some type of order for returning patients to their rooms so maybe it goes by order of when that person started to use the dining room and since your dad is just starting to use it for breakfast he's the last one they move back and as time goes by and new patients start using the dining room he might move up in the order.

just a thought

1. Sponsored Links