My question involves criminal law for the state of: Kentucky
Hello I have a few questions regarding my case that I will have in a few days. A few things to note. I am 23. I have never been arrested in my life, I live in nashville and I was driving home the night I was arrested.
What happened was I driving home from my girlfriends house in Kentucky on a Sunday and it was around 2 am in the morning. Shes about a hour from where I lived and what happened was I made a stupid choice earlier to smoke in my car with her I'd say around 11 pm. I only had a grinder and pipe on me which was also stupid. The police officer who arrested me was riding on my "ass" for about 5 minutes on a very long back street road with no street lights or anything. Me being paronoid about who was following me that late at night I was trying to find somewhere to pull over but as soon as I did she cut her lights on.
She walked up to the car and already smelled the marijuana so I knew I was screwed and she asked had I been smoking and I didn't lie and told her about a few hours earlier. She asked me to step out the car and told me if I could pass a sobriety test she would give me a citation and let me go, so I did the first test which was to follow a light with my eye. I believed I passed that one. The second one was to hold one foot and count to 30. I got to about 20 before she told me to stop and I was very nervous so it was hard to control myself I will not lie. The last test was the heel to toe and I appparently didn't pass it even though I felt like I did because she claims I was stumbling when I wasn't. So I was arrested.
She took me to a local hospital and I agreed to a blood test after hearing what would happen if I didn't agree and I was found guilty.
After that she took me to the county jail where I was booked in around 3 am or so. I was given an insurty bond and my parents came to sign me out around 5 pm that same day.
So here are the questions.
1. Am I looking at jail time or a few classes (for the DUI), or even a fine for all of these?
2. I have never been to jail and I gave them my information regarding I own a home and work. Does that help my case at all?
3. Will the officer be in court with me as well to try to charge me?
4. Could this potentially ruin my life if found guilty which I probably will be?
5. When should I hire a lawyer?
6. Is their a possible way they could be dropped by her because when she took me in she told me I was the only person she ever felt bad about arresting.