Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: If I Sign Birth Certificate and a Paternity Test Shows Not Mine, Can I Have Name

Quote Quoting readytoleave
    View Post
    In addition, I believe if you sign the AOP you may only have 60 days to rescind it and request a paternity test. It's not something you can just do anytime between now and when the child is 18. Be smart, get the test first. She can give the baby your last name without you signing anything. If she tries to use that as leverage to get you to sign, or any other leverage then it is even more reason to get the paternity test.
    You are right. http://www.courts.ca.gov/1202.htm

Do not sign the AOP.

Default Re: If I Sign Birth Certificate and a Paternity Test Shows Not Mine, Can I Have Name

You're even more screwed if you sign it, she quickly files for child support, and it's granted.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Whether the child gets your last name or not is entirely up to the mother. She can give the child whatever last name she wants, regardless of who the father is or what you do or don't sign.

Also, the parents don't sign the birth certificate. The birth certificate will be signed by the local records clerk and the delivering doctor. In order for your name to be placed on the birth certificate as father, both you and the mother will have to sign an acknowledgment of paternity. If you're not sure you're the father, then you'd be an absolute fool to sign such an acknowledgment.
    I signed my daughter's birth certificate...I was married to her father at the time she was born but only I signed it.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    I signed my daughter's birth certificate...I was married to her father at the time she was born but only I signed it.
    You didn't sign a birth certificate. You signed an application for a birth certificate.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2