Default Can a Car Dealership Legally Sell a Car to an Uninsured Customer

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Iowa

My husband was rear ended by an individual who was under the influence and his vehicle was purchased only two days prior. The guy was drunk and had no valid insurance though he provided my husband and the police an expired insurance card. Now my husband has no car and the guy has no insurance. So a two part question.
    Can the dealership legally sell a vehicle to someone with no valid proof of insurance, even if that person bought it outright? I know they can't be held liable for the accident but is there anything that can be done in this situation?

Default Re: Car Dealership and Accidents

Yes they can.

You sue the driver. If you had uninsured driver coverage you turn it in to your insurance.

Default Re: Car Dealership and Accidents

Quote Quoting Mommasangelsjk
    View Post
    is there anything that can be done in this situation?
    If you have Collision or Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Coverage your own insurance company will pay for your car.

Do you have that coverage?

The alternative is to sue the other driver. But a drunk driver with no insurance - even if you won a judgment, collecting would be problematic.

If your husband was injured and you have Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury Coverage your own insurance company will cover his injury claim.

Default Re: Can a Car Dealership Legally Sell a Car to an Uninsured Customer

View Post
    Can the dealership legally sell a vehicle to someone with no valid proof of insurance, even if that person bought it outright?
    Yes.

View Post
    is there anything that can be done in this situation?
    Your husband can sue the other driver. Is the other driver being criminally prosecuted for drunk driving? Your husband can contact the local prosecutor's office to see if any sort of victim's restitution fund exists. Hopefully, however, you and your husband carried collision or uninsured property coverage as part of your auto insurance policy.

1. Sponsored Links