Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: Police Shooting in Minneapolis

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    [/I][/B]

alleged to have already fired a shot or shots
    Again, 1, 2, 3 , 4, 5. That's all the time you have to decide what to do. You're wasting time.

In deciding whether to shoot or not to shoot, even 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 might be too long! And waiting might be fatal for you!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    In deciding whether to shoot or not to shoot, even 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 might be too long! And waiting might be fatal for you!
    I can draw, fire 2 shots into 3 targets, reload and do it again in about that much time.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I can draw, fire 2 shots into 3 targets, reload and do it again in about that much time.
    So can I, I first learned how to shoot through falling plate competitions in the 80s (with a revolver) ... but failing to fire at an armed suspect gives HIM the chance to do that to you, first!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    So can I, I first learned how to shoot through falling plate competitions in the 80s (with a revolver) ... but failing to fire at an armed suspect gives HIM the chance to do that to you, first!
    That's exactly the point of my post.

I have used this illustration before. I have no doubt I will use it again.

At the time of the Rodney King incident, my then-employer had a branch in the greater Los Angeles area. My counterpart in that office lived in Simi Valley, ground zero for that point in history.

My counterpart told me that locally, the entire video was played, not just the clip that was shown nationally. She said that put into context, it looked entirely different than it did taken out of context.

Please remember, as you advocate police officers putting themselves (which also means putting others in the area) at higher risk so that they can avoid taking shots, that they are seeing the whole thing in context, and not just what happened after a bystander pulled out his cell phone.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Any evaluation of reasonableness will be based upon what information the officers believed at the time of the incident. If they had been advised that he had shot at someone, they were free to rely on that information as part of the evaluation. Whether alleged or not, if they had a reasonable belief that he did so or even MAY have done so, that's certainly sufficient to add to the fact that he HAD a gun, was fleeing, and then drew the weapon after disobeying their lawful commands.
    I have found nothing to indicate they had been advised or had any reason to believe he shot anyone nor did I see him draw the weapon much less square off with them.

Not too far back it was asserted the shooter had no backup yet it is clear at least one other was righ there.

The thing that never sets well with me is hearing unnecessary bs stories like one of the officers falsely asserting he fired on them.

No need to lie, our courts say leo can kill as long as they believe a wide range of conditions may exist.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    I have found nothing to indicate they had been advised or had any reason to believe he shot anyone nor did I see him draw the weapon much less square off with them.
    "The body camera footage from Minneapolis Officers Ryan Kelly and Justin Schmidt begins in a squad car, as they were responding to a 911 call of a man firing a gun into the air on Minneapolis’ North Side June 23."

“The further description that came out (from a dispatcher) was interesting because it was more detailed than you would normally get — the fact that they described it as a 9mm, silver,”

Plus, you hear one of the officers, as they pull up in their car, say: "He's got a gun"

Furthermore, as the cops pulled up, Blevins was next to a woman and small child in a stroller. Turns out, the woman is the mother of one of Blevin's daughters, but there is no way for the cops to know that, esp. as Blevins took off running as soon as he saw the cops.

"silver 9mm" is dubious specificity from a 911 caller that does seem sketchy especially when the youngster had a black/blue handgun, seems like I saw it was a 92F

how does firing a silver 9mm into the air get spun into him shooting his non-silver gun at somebody?

I guess I'd like to hear the 911 calls, I guess I'd like to know if his gun had even been fired and if so, by him and a lot more.

I like the idea of citizen review boards and the ceasing of false statements and misinfo almost every time leo kills somebody.

None of that helps build public trust.

I listened recently to a prelim hearing where the police officer lied or conflicted himself so many times, and he didn't have to, and counsel for neither side called him on it since the prosecution was very politically motivated and a small handful got the outcome they wanted.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    They were responding to a call of a man with a gun shooting it based on the stories I've read.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    Not too far back it was asserted the shooter had no backup yet it is clear at least one other was righ there.
    I said "Finally, looking at the videos it doesn't appear he always had back up readily available throughout the entire chase so that would leave him unarmed against an armed suspect." If you watch the videos, the one officer that is behind him does not keep up the whole way and has to catch up.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    The thing that never sets well with me is hearing unnecessary bs stories like one of the officers falsely asserting he fired on them.
    It's entirely possible it was a mistake. Maybe there was a car backfire, maybe someone somewhere else fired, maybe it was an officer who heard the first officer firing and thought that, maybe the guy did fire it and the camera didn't catch it. Maybe the officer thought he heard/saw a shot but upon reflection realized he was mistaken? Maybe he was just trying to cover his butt cause he was worried it would be called a bad shoot.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    No need to lie, our courts say leo can kill as long as they believe a wide range of conditions may exist.
    You will note that that is changing these days. It is no longer necessarily open and shut.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast