Unhappy Injury Due to Dog Owner Negligence

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Texas

So a few months back, my sister was walking in the neighborhood when she all of a sudden noticed a neighbors german shepard run up to her and start barking visciously. She starts to try to back away and as she does she falls on there curb and cracks her ribs plus scratched up her hands as she fell. Dog owner finally runs out to get his dog away. She went home crying from pain and fear. We have warned the owner about his dog being loose before and he has ignored us. So we decided to get a lawyer to sue for her injuries.

The attorney is a compensation attorney and said she has a case. Home owner refused to give up his insurance info stating its my sisters fault for not keeping calm and caused the accident upon herself. He now also claims that its his grandsons dog who lives with him. Now my lawyer wants to back out because he feels there's not enough money in it for him to go to court. And without the lawsuit she gets stuck with all the hospital bills minus all the 8 weeks of pain and suffering from recovering from her injuries, nightmares,etc...

My question is if we hired a hourly attorney, what are her chances of winning the case in court? Also any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated on how to proceed regarding this. Thanks

Default Re: Injury Due to Dog Owner Negligence

Quote Quoting jerzstyle00
    View Post
    My question is if we hired a hourly attorney, what are her chances of winning the case in court?
    We have no way of assessing that. But really, if she cannot get a personal injury lawyer to take over the case on a contingency fee basis she should be considering small claims / magistrate's court, because you can rack up legal fees in a hurry when you litigate a case.

Quote Quoting jerzstyle00
    View Post
    Now my lawyer wants to back out because he feels there's not enough money in it for him to go to court. And without the lawsuit she gets stuck with all the hospital bills minus all the 8 weeks of pain and suffering from recovering from her injuries, nightmares,etc...

My question is if we hired a hourly attorney, what are her chances of winning the case in court? Also any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated on how to proceed regarding this.
    If your sister's lawyer doesn't want to handle the lawsuit she should make sure he signs something that say she doesn't owe him any money.

Then she should look around for a lawyer who is more familiar with Texas dog bite law.

Google Texas dog bite law and you'll see what I mean.

If the lawsuit hasn't actually been filed yet it should be filed against the homeowner and the purported dog owner, because they could both be held liable. Making sure the homeowner is named is almost guaranteed to get the homeowner's insurance involved.

It's not a slam dunk and it's not simple but a lawyer who is experienced in dog law has a better chance of getting money for your sister.

I agree with both of the prior responses, but I'm curious about the statements that "we decided to get a lawyer," and that "my lawyer wants to back." This has nothing to do with you, and your sister's lawyer most certainly is not your lawyer.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    I agree with both of the prior responses, but I'm curious about the statements that "we decided to get a lawyer," and that "my lawyer wants to back." This has nothing to do with you, and your sister's lawyer most certainly is not your lawyer.
    Your right the case has nothing to do with me its just a figure of speech if you'll excuse my language. If it helps it should be ' we decided that its best to hire an attorney' and that ' now THE hired attorney wants to back out'. Hope that helps.

1. Sponsored Links