Default Mother Knowingly Lied to Biological Father

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Arkansas

My husband has an ex who he was with for a few months and then found out she had been cheating on him. He left her, she ended up being pregnant but she told both the men that the baby was theirs. She changed her story back and forth saying there was no way her daughter was my husband's. The other man ended up signing the baby's birth certificate and it was left at that until recently she contacted us saying she was confessing that she lied and that my husband is the biological father and that she knew all along. Its not hard to believe since the baby looks identical to him She has lost custody of the baby due to abuse claims and the "legal father" has the baby in her care but there are also suspicions of abuse there too. Mind you, the mother has never allowed my husband to even think about being a part of the baby's life until now, and the child is one. She's telling my husband that he won't be "dad", because the baby has already had so much confusion regarding her father. After getting a DNA test and it's confirmed, what legal action can be taken?

Default Re: Mother Knowingly Lied to Biological Father

Quote Quoting Cicitodd
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: Arkansas

My husband has an ex who he was with for a few months and then found out she had been cheating on him. He left her, she ended up being pregnant but she told both the men that the baby was theirs. She changed her story back and forth saying there was no way her daughter was my husband's. The other man ended up signing the baby's birth certificate and it was left at that until recently she contacted us saying she was confessing that she lied and that my husband is the biological father and that she knew all along. Its not hard to believe since the baby looks identical to him She has lost custody of the baby due to abuse claims and the "legal father" has the baby in her care but there are also suspicions of abuse there too. Mind you, the mother has never allowed my husband to even think about being a part of the baby's life until now, and the child is one. She's telling my husband that he won't be "dad", because the baby has already had so much confusion regarding her father. After getting a DNA test and it's confirmed, what legal action can be taken?
    Your husband needs to file to establish paternity in court and have the DNA test be a court ordered one. Once he is proven to be the father, he can file to establish custody and parenting time. Mom is completely wrong if she thinks that he won't be "dad". The child is still young enough that any confusion won't be lasting.

Default Re: Mother Knowingly Lied to Biological Father

What doesn't need to happen is that this whole deal of is he or isn't he keeps dangling over the situation for more time. He needs to take this to court and get it established NOW. I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if it comes out that he isn't the father, certain types of people do play games like this, but if he is definitely the father, the sooner it is established and he begins to step up and take responsibility for this poor child's well being, the better. This mother doesn't get to pick who is the father, or say who they've got their hooks on based on what she wants.

1. Sponsored Links