Default Contractor Installed an AC Unit That is Too Big for the Premises

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida
    Hi everyone,
    A couple of months ago I had my AC replaced in the bedroom area. They installed a 3 ton unit for an area if roughly 700 sq ft. Despite my doubts, they confirmed it was the right size. After all, they are the experts, not me. It turns out that the indoor unit is extremely noisy, the pressure in the ducts is so high that the debit of air coming to the room is high and again, very noisy. I had to remove the vents to avoid any whistling noise. The tape around the top of the AC is coming off, there is so much pressure in that small closet.
    The AC company came back twice, to slow down the speed of the fans, yet the problem remains. Now they are telling me my ducts are too small and offer me a quote to change them.
    I had another 2 AC company round and they both confirmed the unit was oversized. Solution may be to install bigger ducts, but it would be best to change the unit of course.
    How can I get the AC company to do a correct job and replace the unit to a smaller one at no cost to me? Thanks a lot for your help.

Default Re: My New Ac is Too Big

First you have to determine if your ducts are the proper size for a properly sized ac unit. If they are undersized for a properly sized ac unit your argument the 3 ton unit is the problem becomes infinitely harder.

Once you have determined the ducts are properly sized you simply contact the company that calculated the size of the ac (presuming it is the same company that installed it) and tell them they need to correct the issue or remove the unit and refund your money.

If they refuse you will likely be relegated to suing them.

Just installing larger ducts isn’t going to fix the problem either. I’m guessing the unit is extremely oversized so what will happen is it won’t run long enough to dehumidify the air but simply make your bedroom cold but clammy due to the high humidity remaining. That is the recipe for a disaster as that dampness will permeate anything that will absorb it and can result in damage.

Default Re: My New Ac is Too Big

Quote Quoting ValerieDe
    View Post
    it would be best to change the unit of course.
    You got that right. Use the following calculator and you'll find that a 2 ton unit is likely to be the proper size.

http://www.adamsairconditioning.net/calculator

Quote Quoting ValerieDe
    View Post
    How can I get the AC company to do a correct job and replace the unit to a smaller one at no cost to me?
    I suggest you get something in writing from an HVAC expert as to the proper size unit.

Then send a written demand to the company owner/president for the replacement of the unit. I think in Florida each county licenses contractors so you can find out who that is on the county licensing website.

I seriously doubt that the AC company will do that voluntarily so you'll probably end up having to replace the unit and then sue for your money back.

I'm guessing that they scammed you with a 3 ton unit because the cost is a thousand or two more than a 2 ton unit.

1. Sponsored Links