Default Whare Can You File for Divorce From an Out of Country Marriage

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Connecticut

Hello. I was married in another country where my husband was a citizen. We lived together in Connecticut for 16 years. I have since moved to another state, he is still at our residence in CT.

I want to file for divorce. Do I have to file in CT?

Thank you

Default Re: Out of Country Marriage

That you got married outside the U.S. is irrelevant. I'm not sure why you'd tell us where your husband lives but not the state where you live. If you have lived in your unidentified state of residence long enough, you can file in your state or where your husband lives. How long is "long enough"? Obviously, it depends on which of the other 49 states you're living in.

Default Re: Whare Can You File for Divorce From an Out of Country Marriage

However, if your ex- continues to reside in Connecticut (now for 16+ consecutive years) and you so choose, you can file in that state.

Filing in the state of your present residence creates potential issues if there are assets (especially real property) in Connecticut that you hope to divide in your divorce. Your ex- can object to Connecticut's exercising jurisdiction over those resources (or he could consent to their division by a court in your state); if he objects it may be necessary to conduct legal proceedings in Connecticut even if the divorce itself is issued by your new state of residence.

Default Re: Whare Can You File for Divorce From an Out of Country Marriage

Thank you for the responses. I think I'll just file in CT. I live in NH now so I'm not far and visit frequently.

1. Sponsored Links