Default Is It Legal for My Neighbor to Be Using Our Mailing Address

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Mississippi
    We had just bought a house and 7/23/18 was the first date I got a package at our new place. The mail carrier asked me, so your mailbox is the gray one, so I said, no, it should be the black one that has our house number on it. Then he informs me, that it belongs to our neighbor. So, I am just a little confused because, our mortgage letter shows our mailing address/the property we bought, so how is it that our neighbor has the same exact number as ours? If you search land parcels, he has two lots and ours is one big land which is a totally different parcel. He goes through our property to get to his, even though, his property actually has access to a different road/street. The house we bought has been vacant for a while after the owner had passed away. Is it legal for him to be using our mailing address? Does he have a right to be using our mailing address? Any help or explanation is very much appreciated.

Default Re: Is It Legal for My Neighbor to Be Using Our Mailing Address

Instead of jumping on the "legal" and "rights" aspects why don't you just go ask him what's up and see if it's something that can be fixed between the two of you?

smh.

@ adjusterjack: Because he seems to be ignoring us and he locks his gate. He yelled at my sister-in-law one time when she had passed up our driveway. He passed up my husband while driving through our property and did not even stop or what. Although we are planning on going there and introduce ourselves when we get back. We are still in the process of moving, so we have been driving back and forth. I just wanted to know if he has the right to be doing what he is doing, that's all. He is an older person and I don't mind that he goes through our property. I am just worried that if our mail is placed in his box by mistake that he would not even bother letting us know. The way he has been acting is making me worry.

Of course he doesn't have the right to use your mailbox, or your address, or anything else that belongs to you. And, unless he has an easement through your property, he has no right to drive through it if his is not landlocked.

@adjusterjack: Thank you for your replies and help. I am unaware of any easements. Right as you go into our property there is a sign posted that says "PRIVATE PROPERTY NO TRESPASSING" which I assume was placed there by the previous owner. He is not landlocked, his two parcels of land has access to a different street. Only thing is, looking on Google maps, (like ours) he has thick wooded areas right by his street where a driveway could have been made. Perhaps he just did not want the expense of clearing it to have a paved driveway. Like you advised though, we will go talk to him first. Hopefully, he is nice and reasonable. One other thing, part of his gate might be in our property as well. Thanks again!

Go to the post office and talk to the postmaster. He/she will take care of instruction the mail carrier which mail box is yours. Then move your mailbox to a different location.

1. Sponsored Links