Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Step-Mom Took My Daughter to the Chiropractor

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: OK

My daughter's dad and I were never married and he wasn't in the picture when she was born so he is not on the birth certificate. Through the years she has spent more time with him to where now she splits her time between the two houses. I found out yesterday from my daughter that her step-mom took her to the chiropractor and she had an adjustment made. It's my understanding that she's not allowed to do this but am I correct and what can I do to prevent this happening in the future?

Default Re: Step-Mom Took My Daughter to the Chiropractor

This sounds like there is no court involved with the child and custody/visitation, is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. I had a consultation with a lawyer when my daughter first started doing split visitation. I was advised that the court would consider precedence but the father still had no legal rights since he's not on the birth certificate.

Quote Quoting Nic4816
    View Post

My daughter's dad and I were never married and he wasn't in the picture when she was born so he is not on the birth certificate. Through the years she has spent more time with him to where now she splits her time between the two houses. I found out yesterday from my daughter that her step-mom took her to the chiropractor and she had an adjustment made. It's my understanding that she's not allowed to do this but am I correct and what can I do to prevent this happening in the future?
    What's the problem with her step mom taking her to an appointment? Did you not know about it? Is that the issue or what I'm confused. If dad can't take her to an appointment why can't stepmom if you know about it?

Quote Quoting Nic4816
    View Post

Make it absolutely clear to the chiropractor that he is not to treat your daughter under any circumstances.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    What's the problem with her step mom taking her to an appointment? Did you not know about it? Is that the issue or what I'm confused. If dad can't take her to an appointment why can't stepmom if you know about it?
    Its very controversial to do chiropractic adjustments on a child. There would generally be no reason to do so. Dad is not legally dad so he has no right to make medical decisions for the child, therefore his wife certainly has no legal right to do so.

I wouldn't want my child to have an adjustment at a chiropractor, period. Her dad has no right to make medical decisions, so regardless of who physically took the child, the child shouldn't have been treated by a doctor without the mother's consent, barring a life threatening situation.

Okay she didn't post all the details and I realize he's not legally the father - so I'm asking was it an appointment already made or not? If it was - then what is the issue if it was something she already knew about? If it wasn't then yeah it's a problem.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    Okay she didn't post all the details and I realize he's not legally the father - so I'm asking was it an appointment already made or not? If it was - then what is the issue if it was something she already knew about? If it wasn't then yeah it's a problem.
    I think that she would not be here if the child had an appointment with the chiropractor that she approved. You are focusing on "stepmom taking" when the issue is the adjustment done by the chiropractor.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I think that she would not be here if the child had an appointment with the chiropractor that she approved. You are focusing on "stepmom taking" when the issue is the adjustment done by the chiropractor.
    "Thumbs up emoji here."

Quote Quoting Nic4816
    View Post
    My daughter's dad and I were never married and he wasn't in the picture when she was born so he is not on the birth certificate.
    If I understand your follow up post, his paternity was never established. Correct? If so, then, in the eyes of the law, this man is not the child's father.

Quote Quoting Nic4816
    View Post
    It's my understanding that she's not allowed to do this but am I correct and what can I do to prevent this happening in the future?
    Since the man in question is not legally the child's father, he has no legal authority or right to consent to medical treatment for the child, so the same is true for his wife. Of course, I'm sure the chiropractor had no reason to disbelieve that the person who brought the child in for treatment lacked the necessary authority.

The rather obvious first step to take here is to discuss with the "father" your concerns about what happened. As someone else mentioned, you can notify this particular chiropractor about the situation and demand that no further treatment be rendered. Of course, there are probably other chiropractors around. If you can't work this out, then the smart thing would be to seek appropriate custody orders.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast