Default Failure to Make a Timely Report of Law Enforcment Contact During Pretrial Diversion

My question involves criminal law for the state of: INDIANA

I am currently under pretrial diversion and I have been staying out of trouble; however, I was interrogated for a 'rape charge' that I had ZERO involvement in. I was working the night shift at my job when all of this happened and when I came home and slept for 1 hour, I was woken up by police officers and went into interrogation at the police department for like 5 minutes until they realized I had zero involvement; however, they still grabbed my name, birthdate and social security number. (I speculate that it was a false rape claim since nobody has been sent to court/arrested since it happened...)

This happened WEEKS ago and I was so shaken up on it that I didn't realize I had to report it to my diversion coordinator; however, I did talk to my attorney about it (just to double check)

Today I filled out my monthly check in and realized I was supposed to report any contact with law enforcement within 24 hours to the diversion coordinator.... I had an impending feeling of doom at the moment and my stomach started to twist because I'm scared that not doing this would terminate my diversion program.

I have been following all the rules and doing volunteer work/classes and I'm worried this would terminate my program because I didn't report the contact within 24 hours... I obviously didn't do anything wrong but I still am scared...

Could somebody offer me help?? Thank you so much.

Default Re: I Forgot to Report Law Enforcement Contact Within 24 Hours.will This Terminate My

What did your attorney say? I'm betting it was something along the lines of "You need to disclose it. The sooner the better after the mistake. Do not let them find out on their own as that can make things much worse for you."

Default Re: I Forgot to Report Law Enforcement Contact Within 24 Hours.will This Terminate My

Quote Quoting diversionhelp46229
    View Post
    Could somebody offer me help??
    There is no "help."

Report it NOW.

Whatever happens happens.

The longer you wait, the worse things will be.

View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: INDIANA

I am currently under pretrial diversion and I have been staying out of trouble; however, I was interrogated for a 'rape charge' that I had ZERO involvement in. I was working the night shift at my job when all of this happened and when I came home and slept for 1 hour, I was woken up by police officers and went into interrogation at the police department for like 5 minutes until they realized I had zero involvement; however, they still grabbed my name, birthdate and social security number. (I speculate that it was a false rape claim since nobody has been sent to court/arrested since it happened...)

This happened WEEKS ago and I was so shaken up on it that I didn't realize I had to report it to my diversion coordinator; however, I did talk to my attorney about it (just to double check)

Today I filled out my monthly check in and realized I was supposed to report any contact with law enforcement within 24 hours to the diversion coordinator.... I had an impending feeling of doom at the moment and my stomach started to twist because I'm scared that not doing this would terminate my diversion program.

I have been following all the rules and doing volunteer work/classes and I'm worried this would terminate my program because I didn't report the contact within 24 hours... I obviously didn't do anything wrong but I still am scared...

Could somebody offer me help?? Thank you so much.
    Actually you did do something wrong. You failed to report a contact with the police within 24 hours. The court will most likely be willing to show you where you were given the rule that you are required to report any police contact with the possible exception of a traffic ticket. You likely signed a document acknowledging that rule.

Could it result in termstion of your diversion program? Yes. Will it? Only the judge can tell you that. If you have been squeaky clean other than this they may let is slide. If you’ve been less than a perfect sole; probably more likely they would terminate the program.

The bigger issue is more likely to be why the police felt the need to interview you. I suspect you will have a lot of questions to answer before knowing if you’re in the clear.

So, I live in an apartment with 3 other people and they had a party that night. I was NOT there because I work the night shift so I missed the party entirely. So when I came home to sleep, the police searched my apartment (with a warrant) and required EVERYONE to be interrogated. I went in along with all my roommates but the interrogater realized I was not apart of this so I was dismissed after 5 minutes. I've been clean and haven't done a single thing that would violate my diversion, except forgetting to report it. I know I was in the wrong, but I just didn't realize it until I had done my monthly check in...

I feel blue just at the thought of losing my diversion because I've been completely clean for the past 7 months and I am scared that my stupid idiotic mistake for not remembering to do it has ruined my life.

If this was just a routine contact, you can prove you were at work when the alleged incident happened and the police cleared you; that would not cause you to lose your diversion.

Your continued failure to report it could. Pick up the phone and call.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Actually you did do something wrong. You failed to report a contact with the police within 24 hours. The court will most likely be willing to show you where you were given the rule that you are required to report any police contact with the possible exception of a traffic ticket. You likely signed a document acknowledging that rule.

Could it result in termstion of your diversion program? Yes. Will it? Only the judge can tell you that. If you have been squeaky clean other than this they may let is slide. If you’ve been less than a perfect sole; probably more likely they would terminate the program.

The bigger issue is more likely to be why the police felt the need to interview you. I suspect you will have a lot of questions to answer before knowing if you’re in the clear.
    So, I live in an apartment with 3 other people and they had a party that night. I was NOT there because I work the night shift so I missed the party entirely. So when I came home to sleep, the police searched my apartment (with a warrant) and required EVERYONE to be interrogated. I went in along with all my roommates but the interrogater realized I was not apart of this so I was dismissed after 5 minutes. I've been clean and haven't done a single thing that would violate my diversion, except forgetting to report it. I know I was in the wrong, but I just didn't realize it until I had done my monthly check in...

I feel blue just at the thought of losing my diversion because I've been completely clean for the past 7 months and I am scared that my stupid idiotic mistake for not remembering to do it has ruined my life.

Stuff happens, so to speak. Don't catastrophize. While I can't make any guarantees, I've seen people get through considerably worse without losing the benefit of a deferral or diversion program.

View Post

Stop replying on here and call your PO or whoever you have to report any police contact to. The longer you wait, the more it will hurt you. So just call.

1. Sponsored Links