Default How to Collect Unpaid Alimony

My question involves a marriage in the state of:North Carolina. My ex stopped paying alimony claiming he is broke. Has worked for a major package delivery company for 45 years. Has lots of assets. I will have to file breach of contract without an attorney. What's involved for me to collect. I make less than $10.00 an hour.

Default Re: How to Collect Unpaid Alimony

Quote Quoting Bev
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of:North Carolina. My ex stopped paying alimony claiming he is broke. Has worked for a major package delivery company for 45 years. Has lots of assets. I will have to file breach of contract without an attorney. What's involved for me to collect. I make less than $10.00 an hour.
    What you need to file is a contempt of court rather than a breach of contract. A contempt of court is a lot easier to file. However, depending on how much money is involved, for how long, you might be better served to hire an attorney.

You should ask at the court about legal aid services for indigents. While the state isn’t generally required to provide legal assistance to non-criminal parties, many areas have legal aid services (private) for those in need for civil cases.

If you are looking for help from a legal aid or pro bono organization, you should contact the organization, not the court. Even if the legal aid office does not have the resources to offer representation, they may be able to provide a low-cost referral or guide you toward forms or other self-help resources.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you are looking for help from a legal aid or pro bono organization, you should contact the organization, not the court. Even if the legal aid office does not have the resources to offer representation, they may be able to provide a low-cost referral or guide you toward forms or other self-help resources.
    The courts I have dealt with in my area do have the info I suggested. It’s done as a courtesy and provided to those that ask. Since there may be assistance from sources other than those sources through the bar association, I would still suggest contacting the court. I know in my area I have a couple law schools that provide assstance for certain issues. They would not be referred to by the bar association but the courts local to them have posted info referring people to those schools.

I also saw no mention at the legal aid societies website suggesting the are associated with the bar association. Their information has also been posted at local courts.

1. Sponsored Links