Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Police Use of Body Cams and Recording Devices

I find it interesting that the Kentucky State Police say they do not wear or carry recording devices. Body cams and audio recording devices really should be standard issue and none of the 30 second delay on body cams before the audio starts recording. Those protect both the police and the public.

Default Re: How to Suppress Drugs Found in a Police Search

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    I find it interesting that the Kentucky State Police say they do not wear or carry recording devices. Body cams and audio recording devices really should be standard issue and none of the 30 second delay on body cams before the audio starts recording. Those protect both the police and the public.
    Not every agency has been able to incorporate audio and video recorders yet. There is both technology and infrastructure to consider as well as the initial and ongoing costs to purchase, maintain, and replace both the tech and the infrastructure, and then there are policies that must be crafted and approved. Larger agencies (such as statewide agencies) have even grater technology challenges. These technology costs are not expenditures that have historically been built into law enforcement budgets, so they must often cut in other places to help pay for the implementation of technology. It's a balancing act.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I don't know about simple body cams and audio recording devices being any kind of pause giving obstacle and if I lived in Kentucky, its legislature would be leaned on to cure it.

Here? Even the podunk areas have fully equipped officers that would almost make miliary special forces envious.

All compliments of DHS and our industrial military complex.

I don't believe there is a county in the state that doesn't have at least one MRAP, with some larger counties having more than the people there have desire to maintain and keep up............. for nothing.

Who knows how many were left overseas and buried in the sand.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    I don't know about simple body cams and audio recording devices being any kind of pause giving obstacle and if I lived in Kentucky, its legislature would be leaned on to cure it.
    A statewide agency has many offices and it is a huge logistical and financial undertaking. If they have the funds, good for them! But, I strongly suspect that the reason they do NOT have them is due to money.

Here? Even the podunk areas have fully equipped officers that would almost make miliary special forces envious.
    Good for them. A few years ago there were a lot of grants out there - especially for impoverished communities. Problem is that the ongoing expenditures and infrastructure needs have caused hiccups and there are problems today as a result. Though, not everyone has the same problem. Each jurisdiction is different.

All compliments of DHS and our industrial military complex.
    The .. "industrial military complex" ... ???? What?

If you think this, you don't know where those cameras and audio/video systems are coming from.

And, I think you mean the phrase I heard in the 70s: The Military Industrial Complex.

I don't believe there is a county in the state that doesn't have at least one MRAP, with some larger counties having more than the people there have desire to maintain and keep up............. for nothing.

Who knows how many were left overseas and buried in the sand.
    An MRAP is not an audio visual system. And better to have one of those lifesaving machines and never need it than need it and not have one. I don't know many agencies that have one, but God bless those that do! The life they save might be mine!

Oh, and if part of the 1013 program, the cost to purchase was nil (free) and maintenance is not all that extensive. My agency looked at one, and the costs were far less than our audio/video system and new server by far.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartandhp

I wonder if these guys have body cams.

This points to another source of easy money funding that pretty much is without accuntability and transparency to the people, at least here the people have zero information regarding the DTF's finances other than the numbers are huge.

Anyhow, body cams protect good police officers, condemn bad ones and assist in assuring the rights of the people are not violated.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartandhp

I wonder if these guys have body cams.
    I am familiar with that department. No, they don't. They are coming though. The Sheriff was out of line buying the car. I know they had a "good reason" for it on the grant application but I can pretty much guarantee it was never going to be more than his daily driver.

Quote Quoting KK1968
    View Post
    This points to another source of easy money funding that pretty much is without accuntability and transparency to the people, at least here the people have zero information regarding the DTF's finances other than the numbers are huge.
    If "the people" choose not to pay attention to public agency funding, that's on them. Their finances are a matter of public record. And as for grants, accountability may depend on the mechanisms provided for in the grant. Usually, it's merely a submitting of financial records involving the items specified in the grant as time goes on. Having written a few grants myself over the years, I can say that its not rocket science, but you do have to be articulate and properly phrase the request within the confines of the grant requirements. That can be a skill unto itself.

Anyhow, body cams protect good police officers, condemn bad ones and assist in assuring the rights of the people are not violated.[/QUOTE]
    Yet some civil rights organizations are asking for the police NOT to turn them on during certain contacts. Go figure.

I like them because they make it easier to convict defendants and the odds of a plea tend to go up. Yet, not all departments have them, not for a desire NOT to have them, but for matters of funding, infrastructure, and policy development. Buying the cameras costs money. Then you have to invest in the technology and infrastructure to securely download, update and store them. You also have to invest in the massive increase in storage capacity on a secure server or servers. AND you have to build in a funding mechanism to pay for equipment and personnel to build and maintain these systems over time, understanding that the cameras may have to be replaced every 3 to 5 years (sooner for those that get broken). It's NOT a one-and-done thing, yet funding resources often treat these things as such. Much like the touted 100,000 cops boondoggle under the Clinton administration, and the post-9/11 grants for WMD survival equipment and gear, short-sighted expenditures often lead to unanticipated (due to intentional blindness) consequences down the road. Best to invest in something that will be an ongoing expenditure by doing so wisely.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Not every agency has been able to incorporate audio and video recorders yet. There is both technology and infrastructure to consider as well as the initial and ongoing costs to purchase, maintain, and replace both the tech and the infrastructure, and then there are policies that must be crafted and approved. Larger agencies (such as statewide agencies) have even grater technology challenges. These technology costs are not expenditures that have historically been built into law enforcement budgets, so they must often cut in other places to help pay for the implementation of technology. It's a balancing act.
    We have a local agency in my jurisdiction who finally just re-implemented dash cams for their DUI interdiction officers. They got tired of juries walking all their DUI defendants. Juries are very leery of situations that they perceive should be recorded but are not. They believe officers less and less these days based on the sins of a few. Defense attorneys make hay out of that. State police agencies really do need to make the investment, I think. State legislatures that refuse to fund them are damaging their criminal justice systems.

Quote Quoting asa_jim
    View Post
    We have a local agency in my jurisdiction who finally just re-implemented dash cams for their DUI interdiction officers. They got tired of juries walking all their DUI defendants. Juries are very leery of situations that they perceive should be recorded but are not. They believe officers less and less these days based on the sins of a few. Defense attorneys make hay out of that. State police agencies really do need to make the investment, I think. State legislatures that refuse to fund them are damaging their criminal justice systems.
    I've seen cameras as part of DUI units for 20 years or more. For patrol, less so. The availability of funding through grants at the state and federal level made them viable once upon a time. Body and car cameras for all is a much more expensive and extensive proposition. As experience has shown us in the past few years, ongoing funding and technology infrastructure can be huge stumbling blocks ... and then there are the policy and potential labor issues that have to be addressed.

I'm all for cameras and have carried a personal audio recorder for much of my career because it made my job easier when writing reports and rebutting lies by defendants. But, having been on the funding side of the equation, I understand the frustrations there as well.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    I'm all for cameras and have carried a personal audio recorder for much of my career...
    We are not permitted to carry any audio/video recording devices that are not department issued. If I could I certainly would do so as you've done.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast