Default What is the Statute of Limitations for Abuse of a Minor

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Texas and Arkansas

According to this (http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...ild-sexua.aspx), in Texas the statute of limitations starts when you're 18. Whereas in Arkansas, it's 3 years after the discovery.

I have a few questions, if I might ask.

Do these laws apply where it happened or by which state the perpetrator was a resident of when the abuse occurred?

If someone knew what happened but did not report it, is it possible to file a civil lawsuit against them as well?

I imagine it's very difficult to actually file a criminal lawsuit for childhood sexual abuse. But does it ever happen? Or very often I should say.

Default Re: Statute of Limitations for Civil Lawsuits

Answers are based on general knowledge, not specific legal experience.

1 - Where it happened.

2 - Depends on the circumstances.

3 - There are more than 300,000,000 people in the US. I am sure that it has happened many times and very often, but knowing that won't help you.

If you have been a victim of child sexual abuse, I suggest you report it to the authorities and consult an attorney. No way to predict the outcome. The only guarantee is that if you do nothing, nothing gets done.

Thank you very much for your help and for your advice. You are entirely correct on the latter few sentences.

Do you think you could elaborate a bit on your answer for question 2? Like what circumstances have you seen or heard about rather where you could file a civil lawsuit with something like that?

About the only thing I can think of is if an adult was present during the sexual abuse and abetted it. That could be grounds for including that adult in a lawsuit against the perpetrator.

Anything else, maybe not.

Unless a third party was complicit in the act or was a mandated reporter there is generally no culpability and as such, no liability if a person does not report suspected or even known activities.

There are many many cases of prosecution of perpetrators of sexual crimes committed against children after the children became adults. The facts of the specific case are what willl determine if a given case may be prosecuted. Obviously the statute of limitations can prevent a prosecution even if it is otherwise very winnable by the prosecutor.

1. Sponsored Links