Default Will the Police Contact a Criminal Suspect's Employer

My question involves police conduct in the State of: California
    I was charged with assault (ADW), possession narcotic, possession paraphernalia. New trouble to me. Complainants are well-known, long-time, drug dealers/whores/grifters/gangsters. Also police informants I discover. Cops acted like their private security force. Do cops normally ask your employer and title and call? I was dumb enough to answer since nothing happened and complainants no credibility. Thought would pass but cops did everything they could to hurt me.

Default Re: Do Cops Commonly Ask Your Employer and Title and Call Them in California

Quote Quoting luvcreaturestoo
    View Post
    My question involves police conduct in the State of: California
    I was charged with assault (ADW), possession narcotic, possession paraphernalia. New trouble to me. Complainants are well-known, long-time, drug dealers/whores/grifters/gangsters. Also police informants I discover. Cops acted like their private security force. Do cops normally ask your employer and title and call? I was dumb enough to answer since nothing happened and complainants no credibility. Thought would pass but cops did everything they could to hurt me.
    When you are arrested and being booked, it is very common to ask for your employer and that employer's address and phone number. There is usually no need to contact the employer, but if you are released and fail to appear in court, this can be a good tool to use to help find you. Additionally, knowing your employment status can help them - and the jail - gauge your suitability for O/R release and bail. Far too often most the people we arrest do not have jobs. (As a note, crime reports always have spaces for the employer and employer contact info for all parties involved including victims and witnesses.)

And, no matter the complainant, if you were caught in possession of illegal drugs and paraphernalia, that's not likely to revolve around the credibility of the complainant. And, even a drug addict, etc., can be a victim of violence (i.e. the ADW). In fact, a great many of the ADWs I used to work involved drug or gang disputes, and even with the victims and witnesses being of sketchy background, people went to prison all the same. So, don't be so dismissive of the complainants - hire a good attorney who can address the specifics of the offenses leveled against you.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Do Cops Commonly Ask Your Employer and Title and Call Them in California

Thank you, jdwjava. I appreciate your insight.

1. Sponsored Links