Default How to Remove a Semester of Courses From My Transcript That I Did Not Take

My question involves education law in the State of: Idaho. I was a student at Idaho state University in 1996. I had some extenuating circumstances and dropped out after 1 semester. I moved to Arizona in late 1998 then Colorado in late 1999. I've now returned to Idaho and am attempting to return to ISU. I was informed I have been academically dismissed from ISU and have to appeal for readmission. I was confused because I had only one semester, so I went to talk to my advisor and bnb do the appeal paperwork.

While in with my advisor to sort it out, we discovered that the university has a record on my transcript for spring 1999. The grades from that semester are what resulted in my dismissal. However, I did not attend the University at any time in 1999 because I lived in another state. I attempted to deal with the registrar at ISU but they told me the only thing I can do is retake the classes. I am not willing to pay for a semester of classes I do not need. That is expensive!

I provided a court ordered name change from October 1999 that shows I had established residency in Arizona prior to the issuance of my name change, which would be during the semester ISU has on my transcript. I attempted to contact my former employer, but they no longer have records from that far back. (20 years!) So, I have no other documentation I can provide to prove I was not an Idaho resident 20 years ago. This innacurate semester will effect my cumulative GPA, may effect my degree program and potential employers may see it on my transcripts. I am not willing to take out student loans to retake classes that I never took in the first place and that are not required for my degree program. Further, some of the classes no longer exist, so I will have to petition to have the new equivalent class overwrite the old class. How can I make the school fix this? They are 100% uncooperative and dismissive.

Default Re: Semester on My Transcript That I Did Not Take

How does the university say you paid for the spring 1999 semester?

Default Re: Semester on My Transcript That I Did Not Take

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    How does the university say you paid for the spring 1999 semester?
    They haven't said anything. They are being uncooperative. The other problem is that the records as re 20 years old, so nothing was electronic back then. They were manually converted in about 2012.

Default Re: How to Remove a Semester of Courses From My Transcript That I Did Not Take

Is the issue here that you enrolled in the courses, then moved away without following the proper process to drop the courses?

Default Re: How to Remove a Semester of Courses From My Transcript That I Did Not Take

No. I never enrolled for the 1999 semester. I did not live in Idaho at any point in 1999. I moved to Arizona in 1998. Online classes didn't exist at that time, so that is not a possibility either. It looks to me like there was a clerical error when the university converted their manual records to electronic format and attributed someone else's semester to me. Perhaps that person had a similar SSN or name. I don't know.

Quote Quoting dakotamorgan
    View Post
    How can I make the school fix this?
    Absent a court order from an Idaho judge ordering them to delete that semester, you can't and they won't.

There must be other colleges in Idaho that you can attend.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Absent a court order from an Idaho judge ordering them to delete that semester, you can't and they won't.

There must be other colleges in Idaho that you can attend.
    Those colleges will ask for transcripts from his previous college and then he will be stuck with the semester of bad grades still. I like the idea of suing them to force them to remove the erroneous information.

Not very good news. Where do I find an attorney? How do I prove my case? My prior employer doesn't have 20 year old records. Besides the October, 1999 court order name change and statements from Family and friends to confirm my live, I dont know what else I can provide to back up my claim that I wasn't in Idaho then.

You should first work through the university to try to solve the problem. Unfortunately, with the passage of that much time it may not be possible to do so. If you did not enroll in classes, it is difficult to see how you would have ended up being enrolled in classes by the university, but if such a mistake occurred it seems unlikely that you would be the only person affected.

If you cannot resolve matters through the administrative process or through appeals within the university, you can speak to a lawyer about the possibility of litigation -- but that will cost you a considerable amount of money. Your lawyer would guide you through what evidence you would need to try to prove that you were not enrolled in classes, but somehow nonetheless ended up with a semester of grades from classes in which you were not actually enrolled.

1. Sponsored Links