Question Summoned To Court - What's Next?

Hello! Need some advice here. I recently got summoned and I am being sued by Capital One credit card company. I owe $13000.00 (by the time they kept adding late/overlimit charges over the span of several months) I went ahead and responded to the summons.

Will someone please explain to me what will happen next? I don't have anything except my car, if a judgment is issued, does that mean they are going to take that? Should I be considering bankrupcy? Do I need to get a lawyer? I don't think I need one because I don't have any assets or money, but because I don't know the law, I want to be sure that I don't get into my legal ramifications due to my ignorance.

I feel so overwhelmed and I don't know how to handle all of this. Perhaps I'm making a big deal but I don't know what to expect and trying to get legal advice here is horrible.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Summoned, what next?: AZ

Do not even consider filing BK. Do you really owe the money or is there a product dispute? Call the company and start making the minimum payments on the credit card. Get a job or get welfare--go for it.

You can consider filing for bankruptcy, although with the amount at issue there are probably better options than bankruptcy. If you have other debts, or this is umanageable, consult a bankruptcy lawyer to discuss your options.

re your question on the judgment - if they get a judgment against you, they can seize all non-exempt assets, garnish wages, etc. (whatever is legal in your state) Even if you have no non-exempt assets or wages at this time, if in the future you do, they can come after them. re the bankruptcy, do as the other posters suggested & talk to a bk attorney & see if that would be the best option for you.

Default Re: Summoned To Court - What's Next?

Did you contact Captital One and try and work something out with them?

1. Sponsored Links