Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Publish a Copy of Somebody's CAC Card

Recently an individual has been found to be running a white supremacist podcast called Heel Turn. This individual claims to be a member of the National Guard and, despite me telling him not to, has provided me a picture of his CAC card to "verify" this information. The information we've been able to gain has been sent to his state's adjutant general, but the problem is that since he's not active Guard there's not much they can do about him. As part of my revealing him for the terrible person he is, I want to provide the same picture of the card he provided, but it's apparently a violation of Title 18 to do so, as far as I'm reading it. Can I get some clarification on this?

Default Re: Publishing a Cac Card

If the Guard doesn't want to make him give back his ID, there's not much you're going to be able to do about it. You don't even have any "proof" that he is in illegal possession of the card. All you know is he sent you a picture of one.

Visual inspection of the CAC card is not supposed to be sufficent anyhow. That's why they're chipped. They should have a visual expiration date anyhow.

The individual has blocked out the QCode as well as the first and last name on the card. Everything else is visible at the moment. The question is about the legality of reproducing the picture he provided me, and would it be a violation of the law to do so.

A defaced CAC card probably doesn't fit the prohibitions of 18 USC 701. Again, if the issuing agency doesn't want to pursue him over the matter, what is it to you?

He's an admitted white supremacist in the Guard. He shouldn't be wearing the uniform to begin with. And once again, the Guard may not be able to do anything because he hasn't violated the way the Guard operates. I don't know.

It isn't illegal to be a white supremacist?

In the military it is, actually. The inability to divest yourself from your political beliefs (for example, communism or white supermacy) and espouse them while openly saying you are a member of the military is a violation of the UCMJ. We literally kicked out three Marines for marching with the white supremacists in Charlottesville, and the Commie Cadet was separated for making political statements in uniform. Specifically, violations of Article 92 and Article 134, as well as violations of several DOD directives and service-specific requirements.

Make up your mind. He's either in the guard and the guard is free to discipline him subject to the UCMJ and their policies (in which case it's no business of yours) or he is a private citizen exercising his right to free speech (which again is of not business of yours).

Asking about a SPECIFIC thing. The legality of sharing his card he provided. Not the ethics of some low-IQ white supremacist in the military. As in using the card for information gathering and for dissemination when everything is done. If you don't know and you just want to argue, find another thread.

I don't know and I don't want to argue but common sense says - it's not illegal to share a copy of your driver's license, or your SS card, or your state ID. Why should it be illegal to share a copy of your CAC card?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast