Default Can a F-1 Student Work for a Business Based Outside of the U.S.

Hello! I'm an Indian grad student studying in USA under an F-1 visa. There's a Canadian company that has offered me a bit of money to write articles for them (I got to know them through my university) but I know that I cannot accept payment because I'm not supposed to work outside of my reseach job. Is there a way I can work and accept money? Can I have them wire transfer it to my bank account in India? Is that illegal because I'm working from US soil? Any suggestions as to how I can work and get paid would be helpful.

Also, I'd be an "independent contractor" and I could really use the exposure in writing as well as the extra money. AND i could use any suggestions! Thanks!

Default Re: Can a F-1 Student Work for a Business Based Outside of the U.S.

How they pay you doesn't change the visa issues. However, working for a non-US entity does not seem to violate your F-1 visa restrictions (even if you do so while present in the US). I'd make sure that the Candian company has no US nexus that would make it seem like you are working for an unapproved US company.

Thank you for your answer. I'm not worried about changing visa issues. I'm just concerned that I am not allowed to be paid for work while on F-1 visa. You can only be paid for research through your school but not beyond that. So would I be violating any laws if I worked and got paid? Is there a legal way to be paid?

"How you get paid" isn't the operative principal. Working for a entity in the US (other than what you are allowed by your OPT or whatever) is. Working for a foreign company (that has no US entity) is not going to be a proble.

1. Sponsored Links