Default Ticketed for Speeding in a Federal Park

Last Oct I got pulled over in a federal park after missing the change in speed from 45 to 35 mph.

A month later a crooked cop pulled me over on the section of road at 1am. I entered the parkway from Va route 199, set my cruise control to 50 mph and headed towards the same area.

About 30 seconds after getting onto the parkway a car passed with a ranger behind it. The ranger made an aggressive U turn after hitting his lights and after turning around, then hung back about 10 car lengths after turning his lights off again. Obviously hoping to over write the dashcam footage.

After a few minutes he got up on my bumper and pulled me over in the same area as in Oct, telling me I was doing 76 in a 45. Me and the passenger both objected and another ranger pulled up, lights off and came to the passenger side nervously stating the radar had been calibrated at the beginning of the shift by the other officer despite me not even asking to see the radar gun. It was also obvious he attempted to make it look like he was riding shotgun with the first officer as he had no headlights on until after we had been cut loose.

Both tickets were not treated as wreckless or dangerous. The first was 11-19 over and the second last was actually 20mph over, the Officer didn’t write it down was wreckless driving.

Will these be treated as criminal charges or just infractions during the hearing?

Default Re: How to Request a Public Defender

Here's the form they use: http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/district/dc333.pdf

Virginia issued tickets for speeding that aren't written as reckless (not wreckless) driving are not criminal. You don't get a public defender for those. However, you say you were issued on the Blue Ridge Parkway, those tickets may be federal. What was the number you were cited for (was it a CFR or 46.2:nnn). Are you to appear in General District Court in some county or Federal Court.

The officer is not obliged to show you the radar gun. Pursuing other violators will not "overwrite" the dash cam footage if such existed (and really, the dash cam footage is not going to show you anything other than after the stop was initiated). You admit to violating the law, so I'm not sure why you characturize the officer as crooked. You should lose such attitude before you get to court.

I say the officer was crooked due to him lying about my speed. Me and my the passenger both were honest and told both officers I was going 50 in a 45.

The way dashcams work with police vehicles is that they begin recording once the lights have been activated. Given he initially made the u-turn, then turned his lights off and waited another 5 minutes before activating the lights again and pulling me over was most likely done to overwrite or displace the footage, or even keep footage from being used in conjunction with the distance devided by time formula to calculate speed.

I spoke with a lawyer who said fees would exceed a thousand dollars and advised me to petition the federal court via subpoena duces tecum for dash footage.

However when I spoke with the records clerk she gave me the runaround. First she said I canít get it from the courthouse, then she claims they arenít available for her to print out then she finished up by telling me to read up on how to properly fill it out or have someone who knows how give it to me. Before I left she nervously stated that just to be clear she wasnít refusing me any forms as if she was concerned about her conduct and refusal to give me said paperwork. I later found you could print it out the federal court webpage which she was more than capable of doing.

Pretty obvious she was protecting the officer.

I ended up paying the tickets before finding said paperwork

He's mixing issues. His speeding issue appears to be federal (the Blue Ridge Parkway is what I suspect he's referring to and he was written up for a federal CFR violation by the NPS Park Police or Rangers).

1. Sponsored Links