Default Can You Own a BB Gun While on Probation

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia

I have been served an arrest warrant for a black powder rifle I thought I could own despite prior hospitalizations for mental illness.

I was given a court date and this is my first criminal offense at 30 years old.

My concern is given Iíll most likely be given probation is that Iíll be ordered to surrender all weapons or give them to someone else. I own a pellet gun and two military style knives.

Despite not being firearms can the P.O. or Judge legally barring me from owning them?

Default Re: B.b. Gun Ownership and Probation

Sorry, but VA firearms laws are incredibly complicated and I don't have the time to wade through them.

You seriously need to get yourself a lawyer who is experienced with VA firearms laws.

Default Re: B.b. Gun Ownership and Probation

You really should keep everything in the same thread. When you get your public defender you should ask him if it is involved with your criminal case. If it is with regard to your probation, you'd best ask your probation officer.

As far as your previous mental health issues, the state law bars firearm possession. The sample probation conditions (note your probation officer may impose different ones) also says firearms.
    Firearms in Virginia INCLUDES black powder/antique rifles. There was a bill passed a few years back that gives some felons relief for black powder/antique weapons. It does NOT apply in your case.

There is no statewide restriction on pneumatic (air gun, bb, pellet) weapons. The are not "firearms." However, the state code specifically allows local jurisdictions to set their own rules on these.

Default Re: Can You Own a BB Gun While on Probation

Quote Quoting Hemispheres
    View Post
    Despite not being firearms can the P.O. or Judge legally barring me from owning them?
    Can they include that as a term of your probation? Yes.

1. Sponsored Links