Default How to Get a Refund for Rehab

My question involves public health law in the State of: Tn and Fl,

check myself in for rehab for PTSD and sex addiction, I'm asked to sign documentation that would allow my mothers estate to see my diagnosis and I tell them I rather not do so but they insist(strike one). The trust instrument provides medical under its terms, I tell the rehab facility they can have updates but no access to mental health records and they create an agreement for me to be sent back to their other facility which is more hands on in Fl but heres the 2 conditions that I need looked at.

1. not to engage in seeking medication for my ADHD.
    2. compliance with giving information to my estate, including diagnosis information.

the issue gets worse, over the span of 3 months they fail to give me treatment for trauma therapy to treat my ptsd while failing to medicate my Adhd and keep saying "this is a rehab facility you can't have stimulants here." They claim im psychotic because I keep telling them I may sue them for lack of treatment. The therapist even warns me he can annotate my file if I was to sue. They lie on my discharge paperwork and say that I was subject to 12 step addiction treatment nightly which isn't true as I've kept their schedules and can prove that. they engage in bait and switch scams to make money and lie on review sites to make them look credible which I just figured out from their facebook page, which im certain would only benefit my scenario if i was to sue them. the trustees of my estate are saying I have to ask for the refund but they can't ask due to hippa law even know they were the ones to pay the bill. so do I need to ask or does the trustees of my estate need to ask?

Default Re: How to Go About Getting a Refund for Rehab

Trusts have trustees. Estates have personal representatives or executors. It sounds like you have a trust which would be administered by a trustee.

Anyway, the person seeking s refund would be the person charged and liable for the payment for services rendered. That is most likely you.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Trusts have trustees. Estates have personal representatives or executors. It sounds like you have a trust which would be administered by a trustee.

Anyway, the person seeking s refund would be the person charged and liable for the payment for services rendered. That is most likely you.
    yes, im a beneficiary to a trust fund. they paid on my behalf.

When you go into a facility for any reason. The doctor in charge of your case. is responsible for medications you are prescribed. If the doctor does not want to order medications another doctor prescribed. They do not have to. ADHD medications can be highly addictive. It makes sense the doctor would not prescribe it. It does not matter if you claim you are not addicted to them. Your anger and focus on obtaining them says otherwise.

The private doctor you see for your ADHD medications may or may not continue to prescribe them. In some areas, doctors have online access to all of their patients medical records. It is also possible the doctor at the rehab contacted your private doctor about your addiction issues.

Did you move D-Town. All your previous Trust issues have been in TX?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    You did not pay for the services. You are owed nothing. The estate paid for the services. It is up the the trustee to ask for possible refunds.

When you go into a facility for any reason. The doctor in charge of your case. is responsible for medications you are prescribed. If the doctor does not want to order medications another doctor prescribed. They do not have to. ADHD medications can be highly addictive. It makes sense the doctor would not prescribe it. It does not matter if you claim you are not addicted to them. Your anger and focus on obtaining them says otherwise.

The private doctor you see for your ADHD medications may or may not continue to prescribe them. In some areas, doctors have online access to all of their patients medical records. It is also possible the doctor at the rehab contacted your private doctor about your addiction issues.
    nope, I talked to nursing while in rehab and there was no communication between the facility where I was diagnosed and my psychiatrist back home. the releases on the HIPPA forms would prove that. I really on medication to keep me focused while at work. not prescribing meds to patients with medical conditions possibly could be discriminating against the patient, I also have sleep apnea which is another reason they are prescribed. irregardless I paid them for a service and they failed to render the service in full.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Did you move D-Town. All your previous Trust issues have been in TX?
    live in Texas, rehab was located in different states.they own several facilities, one in Florida and the other in Tennessee.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    It was paid on behalf of the op. In essence it was her money therefore she needs to seek a refund. Is quite likely the trust is nothing more than a “bank” in this scenario and distributed funds as the trust documents require. Since op is a beneficiary of the trust, it is the op that is injured if they don’t get fair value for the money spent. Unless trustee has a contract with the medical provider, they have no standing to seek a refund.

In other words it would be no different than when you borrow money from a bank to buy a car. The bank sends the money directly to the seller but the buyer is whom has the contract with the seller and as such is who would seek a refund if the sale was rescinded.
    thank you, that was the reason I was asking and yes theres a prevision in my trust instrument that pays medical. now what about the falsified documentation on their behalf? I assume it would be in my best interest to be re-evaluated if I was to consider moving forward legally.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

You were in a rehab facility, not a hospital. while these residential programs have doctor's they are not YOUR doctors. Those doctors can prescribe as they see fit and may diagnose you based on their observations despite your objections and there is little you can really do about it.

Your stated threats to sue for every little thing that bothers you or offends you is psychotic behavior. Psychotic behavior isn't all chopping people up, it covers an array of behaviors and constantly threatening others falls within that list.

Rehab programs, psychiatric hospitals, medical hospitals and attorney's make no promises that you'll obtain the desired outcome. It's not like buying a shirt or hiring a plumber and not liking the end result, doctors, hospitals and attorney's work with in complex environments with media (your anatomy, physiology, neurology, other "ologies" and the legal system) where even the appropriate courses of action can result in an undesirable outcome. Because of this, obtaining the sort of legal relief you want will be unlikely, especially since services WERE rendered.

I suspect that the attorneys who helped this facility draft its master service contracts, which you would've signed would indemnify the hospital from this sort of action.

By the way, your insistence that they conspired against you and falsified all of your records is also psychotic. And paranoid. Why bother? Why jeopardize their facility and the doctor's their license. It's always way simpler to meet the standard of care, even though the patients may not like the outcome.

Also, also, you cannot force a doctor to remove notes from the file. It's their file, not yours. You can force a copy of it be made for you (with you paying for the duplication fees) but they still retain it.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting D-town
    View Post
    check myself in for rehab for PTSD and sex addiction
    You don't go to rehab for PTSD.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    I'm asked to sign documentation that would allow my mothers estate to see my diagnosis and I tell them I rather not do so but they insist(strike one).
    Presumably that was because the trustee wouldn't pay the bills without your signing such a document. You were free to pay your own bills without going through the trust.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    not to engage in seeking medication for my ADHD.
    I have no idea whether you are being accused of drug-seeking by the trustee, or if this was the result of your drug-seeking behavior as reported to or observed by the rehab facility, but it goes without saying that rehab facilities of any sort will try to prevent drug-seeking by their residents.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    compliance with giving information to my estate, including diagnosis information.
    It's not clear what that's supposed to mean.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    over the span of 3 months they fail to give me treatment for trauma therapy to treat my ptsd while failing to medicate my Adhd and keep saying "this is a rehab facility you can't have stimulants here."
    Rehab facilities control their residents' access to mind-altering substances. That's not just allowed, it's part of the standard of care.

Again, you don't go to rehab for PTSD. If your PTSD plays a role in the reason for your being in rehab, it may be possible for the facility to try to incorporate PTSD treatment in your larger treatment for your addictive behavior, but that's not always possible and, even if it is, the focus will remain on the addictive behavior and not the secondary issue. If you need treatment for your PTSD you should explore your options with a psychiatrist or psychiatric hospital.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    They claim im psychotic because I keep telling them I may sue them for lack of treatment.
    That of itself is not proof of psychosis, but it is suggestive of instability and of your being unwilling to cooperate with treatment. There may be other factors that suggest that you were or are experiencing some form of psychosis; we're not in a position to say.

Common sense suggests: If your endless threats to sue are doing nothing more than causing people to regard you as mentally ill, you should stop making the threats.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    The therapist even warns me he can annotate my file if I was to sue.
    As in, making an accurate note in your file, "The patient filed a lawsuit against [defendant]"? Why do you propose that the therapist couldn't make such a note?
    Quote Quoting D-town
    They lie on my discharge paperwork and say that I was subject to 12 step addiction treatment nightly which isn't true as I've kept their schedules and can prove that.
    For whatever that's worth. Are we talking about substance abuse at this point?
    Quote Quoting D-town
    they engage in bait and switch scams to make money and lie on review sites to make them look credible which I just figured out from their facebook page, which im certain would only benefit my scenario if i was to sue them.
    If you want to sue them, by all means, collect whatever evidence you and your lawyer believe may help your case.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    View Post
    I really on medication to keep me focused while at work.
    You weren't at work. You were in rehab.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    not prescribing meds to patients with medical conditions possibly could be discriminating against the patient,
    I suppose we could concoct some sort of fanciful scenario to that effect; but it would be irrelevant to your situation.
    Quote Quoting D-town
    I also have sleep apnea which is another reason they are prescribed.
    When you start tossing out one reason after another for why you should get certain medication, do you know what a rehab facility is going to do? They're going to observe that you're engaging in drug-seeking behavior.

In any event, even if we were to assume that your ADD medication were somehow helpful for daytime drowsiness from sleep apnea, you still had no need for such medication while in rehab.
    Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    You were in a rehab facility, not a hospital. while these residential programs have doctor's they are not YOUR doctors.
    Any doctor that treats a patient is the patient's doctor. The nature of the doctor's employment relationship doesn't change the doctor-patient relationship.
    Quote Quoting Mark47n
    Your stated threats to sue for every little thing that bothers you or offends you is psychotic behavior.
    You can't diagnose a psychotic condition based upon that behavior pattern alone.
    Quote Quoting Mark47n
    Rehab programs... make no promises that you'll obtain the desired outcome.
    Some come pretty darn close -- not that you should go to any such facility.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Any doctor that treats a patient is the patient's doctor. The nature of the doctor's employment relationship doesn't change the doctor-patient relationship.
    True, my intent was to indicate that the doctor in question was not the OP's regular doctor, not to dismiss any claim to confidentiality.

You can't diagnose a psychotic condition based upon that behavior pattern alone.
    This was addressing the reference to psychotic behavior referenced by the OP. I'm aware that this is not, in itself, indicative of psychotic behavior and that I cannot make any diagnosis, in any way, other than to take what the OP states in the posts. Generally I would view a constant threat to sue as annoying but the setting does matter. If the doctors there adhere to the standard of care then a diagnosis of psychosis may be accurate but I'm not in a position to know that other than the OP stating the diagnosis and the repeated threats of legal action.

Some come pretty darn close -- not that you should go to any such facility.
    While a rehab facility may come close to making promises about outcomes they don't...quite...get there.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links