Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Can I Be Responisble for Unpermited Work by Previous Owner

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    The construct may not be allowed legally is one reason it could be ordered to be razed.
    An example would be something like;

in my area one can build an accessory building if there is no residence (in a residential zone and setting) but it is authorized for only two years. The purpose is to alllow storage for building equipment and materials on site while a residence is being built. In such a situation I can see the order to raze the building if the residence is not built

Another would be if the construct violated setback requirments.

Internally it becomes less likely it would be ordered removed entirely but I can imagine a few cases where it may be possible.

Beyond that, the construct can be ordered to be demo’d an amount adequate to allow required inspections. If an inspector wants to be a real PITA, every wire the entire length of it is subject to inspection. An inspector could demand all wiring be exposed and made available for inspection. By the time an inspector got done with required access some constructs may as well have been removed.

As to providing some situstion where any parrticular event happens: nothing I could provide documents but I have personally seen inspector require Sheetrock removed from entire rooms to allow for in wall inspections.
    Don't confuse zoning requirements with building permit requirements. They are two different things. Anecdotal accounts do not amount to precedent in the law.

Default Re: Can I Be Responisble for Unpermited Work by Previous Owner

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Don't confuse zoning requirements with building permit requirements. They are two different things. Anecdotal accounts do not amount to precedent in the law.
    the permits go hand in hand with the zoning. If the permit shouldn’t have been issued because of the zoning and the builder did not obtain a permit when building it, it’s the lack of the permit that will result in it being caught and since a permit cannot be issued because of the zoning issue, the construct goes away.

I’m not going to go hunting for case law regarding a building permit. It is not likely to be published cases for the most part

but having been in construction for +25 years, I’ve seen some things man...I’ve seen some things.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2